Breaking a Lease how to eviction a roommate in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariquita1

Hello everyone maybe someone can helpme .
Im renting an apartment .in the lease appear my name and I subrent a room to a guy .when we do the contract verbally between he and me I didn't know that my son has a illness. Later my son was diagnosed for a psychologist with autism .I asked the guy to find another room because my son needs that room for his therapies .the guy denied to leave the apartment .he said he has it's rent on time and it's true we explained him the situation about my son and he doesn't matter .my husband my baby and me are living in a small room that is uncomfortable for us and the guy has the largest room .we asked him to exchange rooms and he denied again I don't know how to eviction him because I don't have permission or license to subrent .
Besides.the guy is stealing my grocery stuff and my prepared meals and doesn't help with the house cleaning also I suspect he is using drugs someone come to bring him something there in the street every day .he toldme don't to change the locks and no open or go into his room .which I already know that is illegal to do that .
And my landlord doesn't know that I subrent I just want to eviction him.
I just wanted to rent the room for a couples of months until my husband finish his college then for my baby need the room .
And the guy doesn't want to live .how can I eviction him can anyone give legal advice? :(

You can't evict him. You have no authority to rent to him, so you can't evict him. He knows the law, and that's how he conned you into screwing yourself.

Your long shot is to report EVERYTHING to your landlord. He or she can evict both of you, and that's exactly what might happen, UNLESS your landlord needs the money and you always pay your rent on time.

Even then, some landlords would evict both of you.

The good news is if your LL decides to evict you, too, you'll get 6 to 8 weeks before the case gets heard in court.

The bad news is once an eviction is even filed against you, you'll never be able to rent a decent apartment for decades, if ever.

You messed up, and if you can get this fixed, avoid eviction, don't be stupid and greedy ever again.

When you try to scam and cheat, you usually get scammed and cheated yourself.
Sorry, but you've made a horrible mess by heaving sneakily, greedily, and niggardly.

Almost forgot, NYC is notorious about evictions. Heck, if you're lucky, it'll take three to four months.

NYC is also very punitive to people who rent illegal rooms.
The fine you'll get will choke you.
Man, what a mess you've made.
All you can do is report it to the landlord and beg him or her to forgive and help you.

About him stealing, lock up your belongings.
If he steals again, and you have proof, contact the police.
If you see drugs or him using drugs, call the police.
If they arrest him, that might get him gone.

Last edited:
I forget to say that in that time I didn't know the subrent is illegal I see everyone renting rooms .
And also forget to say that next march my lease will expire what about if don't renew mi lease and I find another apartment and leave the guy living there and the landlord take him out can I do that?

And thanks for the answer ammy judge I appreciate your help to much.

It doesn't matter if I lose my furniture that I have in that room.
And I have a copple of videos where he is stealing my stuff I put surveillance in my kitchen and in my apartment entrance because we don't feel secure the guy likes to lie a lot and in the beginning of our verbally contract he told us that he was a drug person and now was in the religion .recently he stop going to his church and for that I suspect is in drugs again and I suspect strange movement in the street and he has changed a lot .
Can I take the finish of my lease as an option to fix this matter?

Thanks a lot.

It doesn't matter if I lose my furniture that I have in that room.
And I have a copple of videos where he is stealing my stuff I put surveillance in my kitchen and in my apartment entrance because we don't feel secure the guy likes to lie a lot and in the beginning of our verbally contract he told us that he was a drug person and now was in the religion .recently he stop going to his church and for that I suspect is in drugs again and I suspect strange movement in the street and he has changed a lot .
Can I take the finish of my lease as an option to fix this matter?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, you can speak with your landlord and see if you can negotiate a way out of your lease.
That's the smart thing to do, and the quickest way to legally kick this freeloader out of your lives.
In the future, don't ever rent rooms to anyone.
People who rent rooms are very often deadbeats, like the one that is stealing your stuff, using drugs in your home, and hurting your life.

Drug use around you children can cause more trouble for you with the child protection people and the police.
I wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back