How soon can I file for divorce

MDillard1602

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am currently 39 wks 4 days pregnant and my husband left me and my 10 year old child last week. I have 3 other children from a separate marriage, all over the age of 15. The previous weekend he found his long lost love and decided to leave me. My question is how soon can I file for divorce and child support? I have an understanding that I can file for child support but he will not be ordered to pay until we file for divorce. How would I go by the process of filing for divorce? Do I contact a family lawyer and when? Can I do this while still pregnant? I more than likely will be induced by next Monday, November 27.

My question is how soon can I file for divorce and child support?

Now.

I have an understanding that I can file for child support but he will not be ordered to pay until we file for divorce.

Then get on it.

How would I go by the process of filing for divorce? Do I contact a family lawyer

If you can't figure out how to do it yourself then, yes, you contact a divorce lawyer.

and when?

Tomorrow morning sounds good. If you know any divorced ladies who did well with their attorney, call and ask for the name, then call the attorney. If not, then pick one off google or from the phone book and make the call.

Can I do this while still pregnant?

Yes.

I more than likely will be induced by next Monday, November 27.

You'll probably be very busy next week so I suggest you arrange to see a lawyer within the next day or so and get the process started.

My question is how soon can I file for divorce and child support?

What would make you think you have to wait (other than the fact that you're about to pop out another kid and probably won't have a lot of time for attorney consultations for at least a few weeks)?

I have an understanding that I can file for child support but he will not be ordered to pay until we file for divorce.

I can't imagine why you'd file for child support independently of a divorce. I think any lawyer would advise you to file for divorce and seek an immediate, temporary order for child support pending the final divorce decree, which would include a permanent child support order.

How would I go by the process of filing for divorce?

You file a complaint or petition for divorce. Since this appears to be at least your second marriage, I'd think you'd know that.

Do I contact a family lawyer and when?

Hiring a divorce attorney certainly would be the smart thing to do. As far as when, why not immediately (subject to the upcoming holiday and impending birth)?

Can I do this while still pregnant?

I doubt it. You aren't going to be pregnant much longer and Thanksgiving is in two days, and I think the chances that you could get a consultation before you give birth are pretty well non-existent.

Back