how long will i have

Status
Not open for further replies.

3kidsmom357

ok so some stuff went down that involved the police on 8-10-12 where me and my boyfriend got into a disagreement. one party left for 24 hours. The next day 8-11-10 he contemplated suicide (has since received help) and the medics, fire department and officers came out again. He didn't get commands on what they wanted him to do and they tased him. As a result of that, we were given two lease violations. we were told that we would be fine. They are lease violations for disturbing the peace of others. we were told that as long as we didn't get another violation that we would be ok. on 8-16-12 we got a letter asking us to leave due breach of contract. we were asked to leave on the first, otherwise they would start eviction procedures. We didn't leave....not without a fight because they have not fixed any maintenance issues. my floor leaked for 7 days from the a/c. we put in writing that we would pay partial rent until they fixed the issues. they refused. yesterday they came to check to see if we had moved and when we said no they said first thing today they would file. as of yet they still haven't. when i got home just a big ago there was a letter on the door asking for rent and late fees otherwise eviction would be started on the 8th. (confusing much lol) so what i am wondering is how long do you think that the judge will give us?

You have a couple months, possibly more.
The note on your door was the first step. If you do not do as the note requests they will go to the court and begin the eviction process.
It will be at least a few weeks until there is a hearing, and once the judge orders you out you could have another 2-4 weeks.
The process could take even longer depending on what actions you might take.
That said, it seems the writing is on the wall and the landlord wants you out. Do yourself a favor and start looking. You don't want to go all they to the end and get an eviction on your record.
If you held back rent you won't likely get your deposit back without more time in court. Save up now so you can afford to go as soon as possible.
Also, the landlord wouldn't be able to evict you for what the police did, but can evict you for the past due rent. If you simply pay what you owe you can beat the eviction and stay. There is a proper way to address maintenance issues that is described in your lease and in state law. Follow the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back