How Long Does A Divorce Take In Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a lawyer to be the bag man.

If a lawyer is the bag man, make tracks as fast as you can from THAT lawyer.

A great, UNSTRAIGHT lawyer never performs bag man duties.

The best UNSTRAIGHT lawyers employ experienced bag men and bag ladies. :D

A good UNSTRAIGHT lawyer's hands are always clean.

According to (link removed by moderator), a divorce takes a bare minimum of 60 days, but 6-18 months seems more realistic. How long it might take for any particular divorce obviously depends on the relevant facts and circumstances. Consult with a local family law attorney.

This is a different question than what you originally asked. How it can be done faster is that you file and serve everything immediately. However, many things are out of your control and will depend on your spouse and the court.

Of course it's possible. It would be possible for me to replace the engine in my car by myself. It just wouldn't be a good idea.

Doing it yourself will probably make the process take longer because chances are you'll make some mistakes that cost you time.

What's your urgency?

So, you don't think that I should use some service like

Last edited by a moderator:
You're posting from CT, but you plan to use a Texas service? Too late, the mods already think you're a spammer. You have one chance to convince me otherwise.

but I would like to hear your opinion about this service, because I planned to use it. Because you are more experienced in matters of divorce.

Look, no one can give you anything more than general answers, because you have asked a very general question, and none of us know what sorts of assets or personalities are involved.

Divorces take longer when the parties disagree on the terms.

Divorces are quicker when the parties agree on the terms.

If you want your divorce to proceed more quickly, be more agreeable to your STBX.

Just because you theoretically should be able to get something in the divorce, it does not always mean that you should pursue it. At least, I don't see the point of paying the lawyer more than the cash value of the asset in question.

Even if you have competent legal counsel, you need to prioritize what you want, and decide on what you can walk away from if the other party is too difficult.

You can walk away from all the marital assets and still end up with a divorce that takes over 18 months and goes to trial if there's children involved.

It is worth it to take longer to make sure that your name is off of any loan/mortgage for physical property that the other party will retain title too. You don't want to be one of those people whose ex gets title to a vehicle/house without refinancing to get your name off the loan/mortgage. It is easier to just sell off any property with a mortgage and have both start with a clean slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back