How Long Does A Divorce Take In Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Moore

Jurisdiction
Texas
How long does it takes? I'm from Texas. And I found on some service that most divorces are taking between 6 and 18 months to be finalized. Is it real to divorce faster?

The link posted makes it very clear that the minimum amount of time it takes is 60 days and can take 6 months to a year or longer.

I don't understand how anyone could answer your question any clearer.

The link also makes it clear that divorce in Texas is not a do-it-yourself project. In fact, it's so important that I'll put the information from the link here:

4. Divorce in Texas is not a DIY job.

Getting divorced is a complicated process. Attorneys attend school for years to understand all that the legal system encompasses. While you can technically represent yourself in a divorce suit, it can be a difficult process and end up costing you time, money and stress.

"When contemplating a divorce, it is important to consult with an attorney," Rashelle Fetty, a Texas Legal participating attorney, said. "An attorney can be your voice during the divorce process and communicate your wants and needs effectively all while navigating the legal system."

Even if your divorce becomes emotional, your lawyer can be an objective party who can remain calm and keep your best interests in mind. But before you hire an attorney, make sure you interview several and let them know what your goals are. It's essential that you feel comfortable with your divorce attorney and feel confident that they will represent your interests.

The link posted makes it very clear that the minimum amount of time it takes is 60 days and can take 6 months to a year or longer.

I don't understand how anyone could answer your question any clearer.

Faster than what? 60 day. Not going to happen.

Faster than over a year? You and your soon (or not so soon) to be ex have all your ducks in a row and not be arguing about any issue.

Also, get a lawyer. DIY will likely cause more slow downs.

The link also makes it clear that divorce in Texas is not a do-it-yourself project. In fact, it's so important that I'll put the information from the link here:

4. Divorce in Texas is not a DIY job.

Getting divorced is a complicated process. Attorneys attend school for years to understand all that the legal system encompasses. While you can technically represent yourself in a divorce suit, it can be a difficult process and end up costing you time, money and stress.

"When contemplating a divorce, it is important to consult with an attorney," Rashelle Fetty, a Texas Legal participating attorney, said. "An attorney can be your voice during the divorce process and communicate your wants and needs effectively all while navigating the legal system."

Even if your divorce becomes emotional, your lawyer can be an objective party who can remain calm and keep your best interests in mind. But before you hire an attorney, make sure you interview several and let them know what your goals are. It's essential that you feel comfortable with your divorce attorney and feel confident that they will represent your interests.

but I googled and found that diy is possible

If the parties seeking a divorce do NOT own real estate or minor children, a divorce can be completed VERY quickly.

If the couple owns real estate and have created on rugrat, the divorce takes anywhere from four to six months at best, in SOME counties.

If the divorce is sought in more populous counties, it can take anywhere between six months to one year!

Yes, one can seek a divorce "pro se", (as in DIY) if children and real estate are NOT involved.

If you tell me the county in which you reside, I can provide a more precise estimate.

How long does it takes? I'm from Texas. And I found on some service that most divorces are taking between 6 and 18 months to be finalized. Is it real to divorce faster?

According to (link removed by moderator), a divorce takes a bare minimum of 60 days, but 6-18 months seems more realistic. How long it might take for any particular divorce obviously depends on the relevant facts and circumstances. Consult with a local family law attorney.

I see, but I ask about how to do it faster

This is a different question than what you originally asked. How it can be done faster is that you file and serve everything immediately. However, many things are out of your control and will depend on your spouse and the court.

I googled and found that diy is possible

Of course it's possible. It would be possible for me to replace the engine in my car by myself. It just wouldn't be a good idea.

Doing it yourself will probably make the process take longer because chances are you'll make some mistakes that cost you time.

What's your urgency?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - which is why it's wise to get help sometimes :)

Some of us who find EASY stuff for most of us HARD stuff, tend to lack the LOOT to boot.

Life ends up being harder than necessary, curse that damn Bowie knife we call life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back