How long can a divorce judgment take?

Donald Levine

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Filed for divorce in May of 2017. Had a 2 day trial in August of 2018. Submitted proposed judgment and findings to the judge in mid-September of 2018. How long can I expect to wait for a judgement. Does this leave the window open for my soon to be ex-wife to change her mind about marital property or what is expected to be paid beyond what was determined in temporary orders.
She is now demanding through her attorney unreasonable expenses such as swimming pool maintenance and landscaping services. She is staying in martial home while I stay elsewhere. She was not granted sole and exclusive occupancy however but expects me to go above and beyond ordinary household maintenance. It is too contentious for me to reside there due to constantly being harrassed and I would not be able to avail myself of the pool restfully.

Last edited:
Filed for divorce in May of 2017. Had a 2 day trial in August of 2017. Submitted proposed judgment and findings to the judge in mid-September of 2017. How long can I expect to wait for a judgement.

After a year and a half, it's probably reasonable to conclude that something went wrong. You or your attorney needs to contact the court clerk and find out what's going on (and probably should have done so more than a year ago).

Does this leave the window open for my soon to be ex-wife to change her mind about marital property

She can change her mind about anything at any time. However, since your case went to trial, her changing her mind about anything is likely of no concern to you.

or what is expected to be paid beyond what was determined in temporary orders.

Not sure what this means.

Actually I'm sorry our divorce trial was in August of 2018 and findings and proposed judgments were submitted in September of 2018. In temporary orders it stated I am responsible for mortgage phone internet and utilities. It never said I was to maintain the pool or open it for her. At trial she testified that she is the one responsible for maintaining the lawn. I edited original post to reflect that.

Actually I'm sorry our divorce trial was in August of 2018 and findings and proposed judgments were submitted in September of 2018. In temporary orders it stated I am responsible for mortgage phone internet and utilities. It never said I was to maintain the pool or open it for her. At trial she testified that she is the one responsible for maintaining the lawn. I edited original post to reflect that.

I suggest you speak with your attorney and ask if anything additional can be done to expedite and finalize the divorce.

Don't muddy the waters or complicate matters by seeking other opinions, unless you are deliberating hiring a new attorney.

You probably excited the demons of greed in the other party by being overly generous, rather than stingy with your money, hence the latest demand for "pool maintenance".

The answer for you is to end the marriage as quickly as lawfully possible to end the looting of your finances.

Ask your attorney.
Elsewhere, you said that your orders states the following: "The husband shall pay all expenses relative to the martial home, including mortgage (PIT) insurance, utilities and maintenance."

As you were told elsewhere, the lawn and the pool almost certainly would be considered "maintenance".

You probably excited the demons of greed in the other party by being overly generous, rather than stingy with your money, hence the latest demand for "pool maintenance".

The answer for you is to end the marriage as quickly as lawfully possible to end the looting of your finances.
Having read this guy's postings elsewhere, I can say that the other party really doesn't seem to be the one with the problems.

Having read this guy's postings elsewhere, I can say that the other party really doesn't seem to be the one with the problems.

If only he had never seen her

Si modo ipse numquam vidit eam

OR

If only she had never seen him

Si tantum nunquam viderat eum

BUT

Those two once saved two others, alas two others will soon be in jeopardy

Qui duo semel salvus duo alii, heu duo alii mox in periculo animarum suarum attulerunt

Actually I'm sorry our divorce trial was in August of 2018 and findings and proposed judgments were submitted in September of 2018.

That's still more than six months ago. I would be calling the judge's clerk if a proposed judgment was submitted and not yet processed after a month.

In temporary orders it stated I am responsible for mortgage phone internet and utilities. It never said I was to maintain the pool or open it for her. At trial she testified that she is the one responsible for maintaining the lawn. I edited original post to reflect that.

You're not obligated to pay anything beyond what the court has ordered you to pay or which you are contractually obligated to pay.

That's still more than six months ago. I would be calling the judge's clerk if a proposed judgment was submitted and not yet processed after a month.

You're not obligated to pay anything beyond what the court has ordered you to pay or which you are contractually obligated to pay.

As pointed out above, the OP is ordered to pay "maintenance". He believes that mowing the lawn and opening the pool is not maintenance.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A standard question that people who are looking to end their marriage may ask their attorney is, "How long does an uncontested divorce take? Well, The short answer to this question is that it depends on how long it takes for all the steps involved in getting a divorce to be completed. Also, the complexity of divorce also matters. An uncontested divorce is one where the parties have been able to agree about the issues that will make up the terms of the divorce judgment. These include:
  • Child support
  • Custody
  • Division of marital property
  • Visitation
Also If one side disagrees with the divorce settlement, it generally takes longer to resolve the case. I would recommend hiring a reputable divorce attorney like (law firms that are too cheep to pay for advertising and troll the internet for clients) would be a great help for your complicated case. They can help you with court procedures and help you in getting your case resolved as soon as possible
Hey Morphie...Really poor form to troll the internet for clients. It really says a lot about you and your firm.

Back