Consumer Law, Warranties how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchodgd

I rented a car (Enterprise) my 18 year old daughter was driving and she was "not" on the rental agreement. She got pulled over for speeding in Maryland and got a citation for "Driving a rental vehicle without being on the rental agreement.

I also got a citation for permitting same.

Pleading guilty, what are we looking at here.

Wow... I am surprised that is a law. That is more of a contract issue between you and the rental agency. Permitting an unlicensed driver to dirve the car is one thing, but a licensed driver not on the contract hardly seems like something worthy of a citation. What is the code you were cited under?

My daughter's was:

Charge: TA18106 B

Driving a rented motor vehicle in violation of rental agreement.

Me:

Charge: TA18106 A

Checked with Virginia State Police, we are from VA and rented the car there, and there is no citation for this.

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you on this one, other than that it is a dumb law that does not belong among traffic offenses. These is a contract matter between you and the rental company. I have never heard of this offense before and wonder how many states have it in use.
As it is written it appears you have no way out- plead ignorance. Apologize. Maybe shed a few tears... You are looking at a fine of some sort. I can't imagine it being too much, but the government is greedy so you never know. The fine will have court fees on top of it too. You shouldn't have any effect on your license or insurance.

§ 18-106. Unauthorized use of rented motor vehicle.
(a) Lessees permitting other persons to drive rented motor vehicles.- If a person rents a motor vehicle under an agreement not to permit another person to drive the vehicle the person may not permit any other person to drive the rented motor vehicle.
(b) Rental agreements prohibiting other persons from driving vehicles.- If a person rents a motor vehicle under an agreement not to permit another person to drive the vehicle no other person may drive the rented motor vehicle without the consent of the lessor or his agent.

Hello tchodgd,

I just recieved the same ticket, and I wanted to know what kind of charge did you recieve? My court date is august 10th and im expecting to move overseas two days later. They didn't give you probation or anything? Did you just recieve a fine?

Could you please let me know. Im a total wreck worrying about this.

Thank you.

Hello tchodgd,

I just recieved the same ticket, and I wanted to know what kind of charge did you recieve? My court date is august 10th and im expecting to move overseas two days later. They didn't give you probation or anything? Did you just recieve a fine?

Could you please let me know. Im a total wreck worrying about this.

Thank you.

Start your own thread.

I had the same citation and went to court without an advocate . I was asked to get one . Still hoping to receive the citation date in a mail. But my advice is that you go prepared with a counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back