How do they base child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

apr4

My daughters father and I have not been together in years, she is 11 and I am now married with two more young children and we live about an hour from her father. He pays child support and is current (due to how wonderful the system is where I live, other wise he would not pay).

My husband and I decided it was best for me to stay home because the cost of child care is so expensive. I do have a home based business but am not making that much money with it right now, I will go back to work full time once all the children are in school full time.

Since my daughters father and I separated he has put so much pressure on our her about her living with him, he tells her how lonely he is and I have my other two children and my husband, he tells her it would be more fair if she lived with him (he had a family once he choose the bar and extra curricular activities instead) she feels guilty and and wants to move with him. I, of course, will not give in until a judge has me do so.

My questions are: would a judge ever give him full physical custody of our daughter and how would they decided that? If that would ever happen, how would they base the child support? Do they go by what I was making when I was employed? Do they go by what i make now? Do they take my husbands salary? I want to prepare myself for the future, I feel another court battle is going to happen soon.

Custody will not change because the father is lonely, nor will it change simply because your daughter wants to live with him. Her wishes may be considered, but are not the deciding factor. I don't think custody will change, but the father may be able to get increased visitation.

If he is able to get custody, the child support will be based on the income you could be making if you had continued working in your previous career. It will not be based on your current income. Your husband's income should not be a factor in the calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back