Roomate How do I get rid of an ex bf who doesn't pay and is no longer on lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat

I just signed a new lease for my place without my bf on it. It's just for me and my daughter. They do not allow anyone to live there that isn't on the lease. I told my bf two months ago that he needs to move out. He did not work at all this year until August and even now he is not paying any money to stay there. His license is listed using my address and he receives mail. How can I get him to leave? Am I going to have to legally evict him even though he is no longer on the lease?

I just signed a new lease for my place without my bf on it. It's just for me and my daughter. They do not allow anyone to live there that isn't on the lease. I told my bf two months ago that he needs to move out. He did not work at all this year until August and even now he is not paying any money to stay there. His license is listed using my address and he receives mail. How can I get him to leave? Am I going to have to legally evict him even though he is no longer on the lease?

Yes, you can attempt to evict him using your county court system.

The landlord doesn't allow "squatters", so it might be easier to discuss this with the landlord.

That could pose a problem for you, if he says, "Hey, she let me stay for the last two months."

It won't be problematic insofar as the eviction is concerned, but it could create an issue between you and your landlord.

If you lodge an eviction action without discussing it with the landlord (legally you have no duty to do so), it could still become an issue if he blabs to the leasing office, a maintenance person, etc...
The landlord or the managers could still become bothered by this.

So, be prepared for blowback.

You can Google "eviction YOUR COUNTY Florida" for a step by step discussion.
Her's one for Brevard County:

http://brevardclerk.us/evictions

http://brevardclerk.us/civil-small-claims-evictions-garnishment-probate-guardianship

http://www.brevardsheriff.com/home/how-do-i/get-civil-process/judicial-process/civil-process-faq/

For your state (Florida), a general how to:

http://www.legalteamusa.net/civillaw/2013/02/25/florida-residential-eviction-the-process/

So essentially I am either forced to pay to evict him or I'm stuck supporting him for as long as he wants to stay there.

So essentially I am either forced to pay to evict him or I'm stuck supporting him for as long as he wants to stay there.

I provided you ONLY with your LEGAL options.
Yes, they are somewhat limited.
Just so you know, after the notice period has expired, and refuses to vacate, you then file formally with the court.
If that is successful, it will often take anywhere from eight to ten weeks, before a judge orders him gone.
Then another week to 10 days before the deputies come to move him and his junk to the curb.

This is why I never allow anyone to stay overnight in my home, no one.
If I like a relative, I will pay for their hotel stay for a few days.

There are other things that can happen to shorten the removal time.
Some people pay these bums for the keys and to leave earlier.
They get the terms in writing, and they pay after the person has left.
The amounts vary, but I hear $500 can get some to leave.

If he commits domestic violence against you or your child, the police can arrest him.
You can then get a restraining order, and he is effectively evicted by his own stupidity.

Good luck.

I appreciate the help. I guess it's my own stupidity for trusting someone to do the right thing. If a relationship ends, you move out and move on. I don't suppose I can legally change the locks since he is no longer on the lease? He has not paid a dime in 2 1/2 yrs towards rent or bills. It's pretty shady that the law is set up to protect them instead of the person footing the bills.

There are many legal ways to make his living there very uncomfortable and inconvenient. If that happened, perhaps he would leave on his own.

I appreciate the help. I guess it's my own stupidity for trusting someone to do the right thing. If a relationship ends, you move out and move on. I don't suppose I can legally change the locks since he is no longer on the lease? He has not paid a dime in 2 1/2 yrs towards rent or bills. It's pretty shady that the law is set up to protect them instead of the person footing the bills.

In some cases, people in your position leave. You could discuss how and how much that might cost with your landlord.

It isn't the fault of the law that we sometimes make a bargain or find ourselves in a bad situation. When that happens, we get smarter. Never allow anyone to live or even stay ovenight in your home, unless they are your minor child(ten) or one day, your spouse.

Otherwise, live in boypals and girlpals, overnight guests won't leave. Don't allow them in, in some cases. Meet them in public places. I value my home and my privacy. I'm sure you do, too. Yes, and I don't even listen to their promises, which are often lies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back