How do I defend my self against a lien on my property

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlVidrio

Hello. This case is becoming somewhat uncomfortable.

Background:

I had a problem at my garage with the floor, which can be summarized as follows:

The subsidence of the sub grade soils along the left side of the residence is likely caused by inadequate placement and compaction of fill soils at the left side of the building pad. Settlements associated with the presence of these soft fill materials have resulted in cracking and deflection of the floor slab and deflection of the brick header above.

I was recommended that the foundations along the left side of the residence should be underpinned to transfer the load of the structure down through the soft fill soils to sound bearing materials. Pressure grouting of voids beneath the slab and tooling and sealing existing cracks in the slab area.

For this, I request a quote or proposal from a Company for the repair.

The clauses of their proposal are:

3.1 Mobilization/Demobilization $XXXX

3.2 Labor and Equipment (per 8 hr day) $XXXX (~1.5 - 2 days)

3.3 Rate for Grout (per cubic foot) $XXXX (~150-200cf)

3.4 AB Chance tie backs/vertical piers $XXXX PER (7 piers)
(up to 12' depth and 40 kips, over 12' in length per pier, the charge of $XXXX per foot)

Now, specifically to clause 3.4, I believe states, establishes or guides to understand that the total price for the AB Chance tie backs/vertical piers., is $XXXX for 7 piers, and not per pier. This is the point of disagreement with the Contractor; and the reason for them to invoice more than I believe I should pay.

Being this the case, I have been telling them honored the clause!

I mailed them a check with the amount I think I should pay, and they not only reject the payment, but place a lien on my property.

What can I do?
Am I right on what I am stating with the clause 3.4?

Personally I read clause 3.4 to state that the price is $XXXX per pier. The parenthetical reference was to clarify that there wa to be a total of 7 piers. So the amount owed would be 7 x $XXXX assuming none of the piers went more than a total of 12 feet in depth.

You will note the perenthetical comments in 3.2 and 3.3 are also just to clarify the total amount for the quote.

Sorry, but that is how I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back