How do I bump my Bowers without getting in trouble?

bluntc0ncussi0n

Jurisdiction
New York
I was playing my music one day at 79% volume at around 12:30pm when it was broad daylight outside and the super knocked on my door telling me to turn it down. I can't say I was all too surprised (or really that upset, either) about the situation. However today I was asked the same thing at around the same time of day when the volume was only at 36. I understand not being able to play loud music at night (unless its New Years or the Super Bowl or something) but if I can't play loud music during the daytime when exactly am I allowed to play loud music? Does it depend on some kind of Rules of Conduct agreemend that I may have skimmed over in thinking I've read one of those already and not realizing each one for every building is different? If not, is there a general Rules of Conduct agreement that everyone in New York has to follow, regardless if they are a super or merely a tenant? If someone could enlighten me on this info that would be greatly appreciated!

Here's your enlightenment. Your right to play loud music STOPS when it disturbs others. In other words when somebody hears it who doesn't want to hear it. If anybody can hear it outside the four walls of your apartment then it's too loud and you need to turn it down or get yourself a pair of wireless stereo head phones.

Or risk getting evicted after a few more complaints.

If you want to see rules of conduct read your lease. You are likely to find that you are obligated not to disturb other tenants. If it's not stated in the lease it's implied in every lease under common law.

And it's not your definition of disturbed, it's theirs.

I understand not being able to play loud music at night (unless its New Years or the Super Bowl or something) but if I can't play loud music during the daytime when exactly am I allowed to play loud music?

You start by looking at your lease and talking with your landlord to find out what rules apply to your place. The city you live in may also have a noise ordinance that regulates how loud you can get without getting cited for violation. Usually though you have to be really, really loud to violate those noise ordinances during the day.

You may love your loud tunes, but your neighbors may not be fans. Especially when you live in an apartment building where you are sharing walls with others it's helpful to be mindful of those neighbors. If you are unlucky enough to be in a building with walls that are pretty much worthless at blocking sound then it won't take much for your neighbors to hear your stuff. So take into account the sort of people living in your building. If you live in a building with a lot of students who like to rock out to loud music you likely will have much less problems than living in a building with a lot of senior citizens who may be home during the day and want things nice and quiet.

Back