How do force the co-owner to sell the home?

Jc2580

Jurisdiction
Washington
My step father moved into my apartment rent-free for 3 months and then I bought a $330,000 home with him in October 2014. I put down $5000 and he put down $10,000. We shared the mortgage payment 3 ways with another family member, $700 each. In July 2015, my step father moved a mentally unstable thief into our home against our verbal agreement that residents would have to be approved by all house members. This new addition to the household created continual havoc which contributed to my step father acting violently toward my girlfriend and I and we were forced to move in with another family member. He also tricked me into moving my stuff out of that house by agreeing to by me out and then when my stuff was out of the room he moved someone right into my room.

I continued to pay $700 per month through October 2015. By that time, my step father had acquired multiple roommates to cover the mortgage payment. He even lost visitation with his daughter because of the dangerous individual in his home. He has continued this for almost a year. My credit to debt ratio is tied up with this house I can no longer live in and my former step father refuses to agree to sell it. An attorney told me I need to file a partition action to force sale of the house. Attempting to write the pleadings for the civil action is almost overwhelming. An attorney wants $9000 to help. Is it possible to find help or an attorney that would enter into contract to be paid with a percentage of the proceeds of the sale of the home? Thank you.

No respectable attorney, prosperous in her or her practice is going to take your case on a share of profits that may never be achieved.

Yes, such an action is time consuming for all parties, especially drafting and filing the pleadings, so anywhere from $7,500 to $20,000 (and up for more expensive properties) is about the right number.

Back