How can I get the compensation when the public defender isn't doing anything for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyhan88

I'm an innocent victim/student that has been suffering from the hardship caused by this unfortunate crime occurred few months ago.
This guy broke into my car he totally destroyed the windshield and left scratches and other damages on the outer side of my car's body and there were thousands of pieces of classes scattered all over the places including inside and outside of my car and the guy, bleeding on his legs, was passed out next to my car with one of his shoes left inside of my car with some liquor bottles on the ground. His blood was on my hood and side of my car, shoe marks were all over my car as well and so on so the evidence was more than enough. I was really scared and the cops came and the arrested the guy.
I only had a liability plan as my auto insurance so I couldn't get help from my insurance company. I had to get my windshield fixed and the glasses that went underneath the hood damaged the inside, such as causing the leakage from the hoses and he messed up my alarm system as well, I had complicated auto remote start alarm that has wires hooked and I guess it got all messed up. But other than windshield I haven't even been able to fix because I'm unemployed and can't afford any of those right now. Also I had to drop my class because I couldn't drive to school and had to get everything situated first.. and had to move right after because that day's incident like a lot of cops and them trying to ask questions and all, woke my irritable roommate up that morning and all this drama..
But the thing is I still haven't been able to get any compensation. Some public defender tried to get a hold of me but I had to move from that location and didn't get the mails and stuff.So I tried to contact him and let him know the amount few weeks after I got a msg from some other public defender saying that my case was transfered to her. After talking to her I faxed her the estimate and I still haven't heard from her for 3 weeks. I called her more than 10 times over the past weeks but couldn't get a hold of her she never returned my calls after I faxed her.
And this is really becoming pain in the ass. I don't have money to hire a lawyer nor know how to solve this problem. Whom should I call or what should I do to find out what is going on with that criminal and his trial and what can I do when the public defender is not doing anything and not answering and not returning the calls?
I really need help

The public defender is contacting you? Or is it the District Attorney? I don't know what state you live in but, find out if they have a Victim's Compensation Program. If so, apply for that to get compensation.

Isn't doing anything? Or isn't calling you and holding your hand and telling you everything that's happening even when nothing is happening? If that's what you're looking for, sorry, but you have to pay for the service.

The public defender has several hundred other clients besides you and still only gets 24 hours in every day. She can't be calling you when she's in court with other clients. It's quite possible that nothing is happening with your case, right now; why should she call you when she has nothing to report?

When the public defender has something that you need to know, she'll call you. These things move slowly - you shouldn't be expecting a check anytime soon.

I know these times are abysmal, but if your credit is good, perhaps go to a bank and ask for a "signature" loan. There may be other plans. If you can show the bank you are going to eventually be getting paid, they may give you a rather small sum on the loan.

Otherwise, and I'm unclear of this, since you are moving or have moved, there may be areas near you where public transportation is a viable solution. After gas prices went up so much, I discovered that I can take a bus to a class I was taking that ended up taking up less time, plus was really inexpensive and I avoided paying gas/parking.

Good Luck. I sympathise with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back