How can I evict an illegal subtenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgarcia

I know I messed up on this one. After I got laid off, i had issues paying my rent and decided to move in with my boyfriend. I still had a few months on my lease. He suggested his friend to sublet my apt. The plan was to add him to the lease and eventually take me off. Well he never submitted to verification docs to get added to the lease. Then he moved his girlfriend and her three kids into my one bedroom apt. When school started she cried to me about how she needed to get her kids in school and she gave up her old apt. I didn't want to be heartless, so I signed a notarized letter saying they stay with me so they could go to school. Well since they've been there, they have been paying rent so late, 20th and 27th, and it has gone into legal status heading for eviction. This is on my file. I want them to leave so I can get my rental history back on track. They told me that since they have the lights and cable in their name, legally I can't do anything. Now, they are refusing to pay rent, so I am looking at an eviction. What do I do? How can I get them out of my apt?:mad:

It's not allowed in the lease, but as a last resort, I talked to the landlord. I was told that they can't just put them out. She said that I would have to do something about it, because if she did, then it would be against me also.

You might talk to a Tenant/Landlord Attorney first. However if you can do this you will need to follow your states guidlines for tenant removal. This means you give the tenant a "notice to vacate" in accordance with state law. Problem is I am unsure if "you" can do this. It might be only the landlord can but I am unsure. Call an Attorney and ask

If you are not currently living there then you can not be evicted. However you can be sued by the landlord to recover the cost of evicting the illegal subtenants and for any damages to the property.

If you are named in the eviction then you should have a solid defense in that matter. Simply show up to court and make it known that you no longer reside there and have not been there for some time now.

You might talk to a Tenant/Landlord Attorney first. However if you can do this you will need to follow your states guidlines for tenant removal. This means you give the tenant a "notice to vacate" in accordance with state law. Problem is I am unsure if "you" can do this. It might be only the landlord can but I am unsure. Call an Attorney and ask

Yes, OP should be able to begin eviction against a subtenant, even an illegal one. However, it seems the landlord has already initiated the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back