Criminal Law How a summary offense affect immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAL_

Dear Sir or Madam:

I was a foreigner in PA. I was charged for shoplifting stuff less than $10 recently. I first received a letter which requires me to go to the police department and give my fingerprint. Then I received another letter from the court which shows that I will be sentensed a summary offense for retail theft and should pay a $200 fine if I plea guilty. I want to know how would that affect my current status H if I plea no guilty but finally convicted guilty by the judge? How would that affect my future application for a H visa or green card?

My record is clear before this. I want to know whether I can ask a lawer to make some out-court agreement and has the charge dismissed. If I can't, is there a way to avoid criminal record?

Thanks a lot!

A very very sad person

You were indicted on Summary Offense because the offense is a first offense and the value of the merchandise is less than $150. That's PA statutes. Usually, the maximum jail time for this offenses is 90 days. You should be safe, you qualify for the CIMT exception but keep in mind you DID commit a CIMT....

I'm not a lawyer of any kind, this is not legal advise... Good luck...

Husty said:
You were indicted on Summary Offense because the offense is a first offense and the value of the merchandise is less than $150. That's PA statutes. Usually, the maximum jail time for this offenses is 90 days. You should be safe, you qualify for the CIMT exception but keep in mind you DID commit a CIMT....

I'm not a lawyer of any kind, this is not legal advise... Good luck...[/QUOTE

i had the same problem of petty theft misdemeanor but the item was 40$(sale value) worth and the store made the case for 110 the real value so can i argue then that it was for 40-50 $ ?and i lived in CA and i am on H4 visa will it effect on my visa ? and it is my first offence and the value is very less so would i be able to get exception ? and will it effect on my visa renewal ?? and what will happened it i travel after a year or so will they stop my on port of entry ?please help me into this matter my hearing is on 9th may. i have a small kid of 1 year who is a american citizen can he bring any light on my case ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back