Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass House Vandalism in Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsubo

A member of my family recently vandalised my home after I told him he had to move out because I was selling it. What penalties will he face if I call the police and tell them what he did to my house? This occurred near Fort Worth, Tx.

Background Info:
We moved into a new house but retained the old house. My Grandson was getting married and in need of a place of residence. Since he was short on cash and has difficulty keeping a job we decided that we would let him live there as long as he paid the taxes and utilites on the morgage fee property until we sold it.

He lived there almost two years before we told him that the house is going to be sold so he would have to look for a new place. He had been falling behind on paying even the taxes and utilities ontime. My grandson was not happy about this news and after he had moved out we walked through the house and saw the damage he had done while living there.

Cabinets were missing and damaged, carpet was stained and ripped in several places, walls had holes and gouges. Two doors were damaged (apparently kicked in) Painting walls black and blue can be fixed relatively easily but the other things will cost us thousands to repair before the house can be sold.

What can I do, and what will happen to him if I can charge him with Vandalism? Is there another name for this distruction of my personal property? I want him to learn a lesson from this, but I don't want it to haunt him the rest of his life...

He's and adopted child and has had multiple problems which are irrelevant here, however, it's safe to say he's not a model citizen.
Any suggestions or clarifications would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by tsubo:
A member of my family recently vandalised my home after I told him he had to move out because I was selling it. What penalties will he face if I call the police and tell them what he did to my house? This occurred near Fort Worth, Tx.

Background Info:
We moved into a new house but retained the old house. My Grandson was getting married and in need of a place of residence. Since he was short on cash and has difficulty keeping a job we decided that we would let him live there as long as he paid the taxes and utilites on the morgage fee property until we sold it.

He lived there almost two years before we told him that the house is going to be sold so he would have to look for a new place. He had been falling behind on paying even the taxes and utilities ontime. My grandson was not happy about this news and after he had moved out we walked through the house and saw the damage he had done while living there.

Cabinets were missing and damaged, carpet was stained and ripped in several places, walls had holes and gouges. Two doors were damaged (apparently kicked in) Painting walls black and blue can be fixed relatively easily but the other things will cost us thousands to repair before the house can be sold.

What can I do, and what will happen to him if I can charge him with Vandalism? Is there another name for this distruction of my personal property? I want him to learn a lesson from this, but I don't want it to haunt him the rest of his life...

He's and adopted child and has had multiple problems which are irrelevant here, however, it's safe to say he's not a model citizen.
Any suggestions or clarifications would be appreciated. :)
To begin, if you aren't going to press charges then I'm not sure that the case will go very far. You can make the case civil and not criminal -- sue him for a cash judgment for damage to property. That might not mean much since you'd never collect and he might simply not show up for court.

He might be chargeable with misdemeanors. Some of the sections I found in Texas Penal Code include 28.03 Criminal Mischief, and there are likely others. An arrest and/or conviction of a misdemeanor is much less damaging than that of a felony, which can haunt an individual on job interviews -- you can see proof of that here.

Good luck with the kid and kudos to you for your incredible patience and understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back