Negligence, Other Injury Hotel threw away $3k worth of prescriptions!

SomeoneSpecial

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I have stayed in this particular hotel for at least 3 weeks of the past 2 months. Everyday, but this one day, I leave a tag on the door to not clean my room due to having expensive items in the room. I had a Wal Mart bag with all my prescriptions in it by my desk. The room service took the bag and threw it away. This happened a week ago Monday. I contacted them on the following Wednesday and informed them on what happened. They didn't deny it and said that they would contact their insurance company and submit a claim. I tried to resubmit the prescriptions to insurance but my insurance does not have the replace lost prescriptions clause so it was denied. The total cash price was just under $3000. I am diabetic and have a few other issues. I've not had any of my prescriptions since I cannot afford to fork over that kind of money. I contacted them on Friday and got a 'we are submitting the paperwork still'. They comped me Friday through Sunday at the hotel. I haven't heard anything from them yet and was about to call them when I thought you guys could offer me some advice on how to proceed.

What are my options? I need my medicines, it's severely affecting my health.

sounds like you have done what you can. Send the Rx documentation to the insurance carrier as soon as possible.

I do have to wonder why it took 3 days to make a claim? That might impede your claim a bit. But hopefully you can show a receipt of when it was purchased, but it's going to be hard to prove it was in your hotel room. Did the cleaning service admit to throwing it away? That will help too.

You're supposed to leave valuables in the safe. Every hotel I've stayed at has been clear on that.

sounds like you have done what you can. Send the Rx documentation to the insurance carrier as soon as possible.

I do have to wonder why it took 3 days to make a claim? That might impede your claim a bit. But hopefully you can show a receipt of when it was purchased, but it's going to be hard to prove it was in your hotel room. Did the cleaning service admit to throwing it away? That will help too.

Yes, they did admit to it. I pretty sure you are right and I don't have a claim really since I cannot prove it but we'll see I suppose. Thanks for the constructive input.

Being a donkey doesn't help but this is the internet so I should expect it.
You really don't need to be quite so hard on yourself. I wouldn't say you're a donkey, I'd just say that you made a mistake. Sometimes, a person must take responsibility for their own mistakes, even when it costs them money.

I agree with the prior responses, and there is no "option" that will get you replacement medication any faster than the hotel or its insurer will move, unless you pay for it out of pocket. In the future, don't leave valuable stuff in a bag that may appear to a relatively uneducated person to be trash.

I agree with the prior responses, and there is no "option" that will get you replacement medication any faster than the hotel or its insurer will move, unless you pay for it out of pocket. In the future, don't leave valuable stuff in a bag that may appear to a relatively uneducated person to be trash.

Point taken. Ty!

By helping you understand your own responsibility for this matter and to also prepare you for a denial of your claim.

Lightening of best answer has struck twice within 24 hours.
For me, that is a first!
Please don't make me break my record. :D

Back