Hotel/Motel Laws

Savannah Betts

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My family and I had temporarily been living in an extended stay hotel located in GA. We had been there for about 5 months and currently are in process of moving into our new home. While staying here I noticed that on my 29th day they checked me out although the day was paid for. She claimes it was a mistake but it still started our days over and took longer for us to become "tenants" after the 90 day period. We no longer pay taxes but the rates for the room change every time we pay. Is it legal for them to be charging me more than when I started after I am legally considered a tenant hence the no tax on the rent any longer. One day we pay the rate is 37.99 the next time we pay its 42.99 then 48.99 then 51.99 now its 55.99 a night. We always pay them due to having no where to go up until we recently found a new home. But it is a struggle to have only one income and 4 mouths to feed as well as the ridiculous prices. The rack rate on the back of the door said 209.00 for 2 adults. Im confused as to why they are charging me 350 plus a week . They do not allow you to "extend your stay" by charging you different rates each time you pay if this was truly an extended stay my price should extend with my stay correct? I previously lived in a hotel before I had children and was there for 2 years. My rate never changed I paid the exact same rate whether I paid for 2 more nights or for 7 more nights. We are at Studio 6 and i feel we have been ripped off this entire stay, which we can't afford with 2 children. We could have been saving noney if they weren't over charging us. My question is basically as an extended stay guest are they allowed to raise my rates unexpectedly??

Back