Hostile work environment?

Help in NJ

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I work at a youth group home facility. About 3 years ago they dropped us from two staff per waking shift to one. We recently got a new consumer who made allegations of a sexual nature against a staff while attempting to physically attack staff member( staff member was cleared of allegations).
After that incident the group home staff and myself vocalized that the group home should not be run with one staff with a consumer that has a history of making these sexualized allegations. We continued to work with the one per shift.
I a female being the group home supervisor in a male house was working a shift alone with the consumer when the consumer barricaded me in the back bathroom holding the door shut with his body while making sexually inappropriate comments by repeatedly saying " you wanna f*** me" and refusing to move out of the way of the door or removing his hand from the door knob and keeping his body blocking the door that was shut. He was asked twice to move while he continued making comments until I was able to remove his hand from the door knob and maneuver my way of the bathroom and outside of the house where I called for backup ( staff 25 minutes away) and then the police to file a report.
I requested not to work alone with him again and asked for a 2nd staff for my shift the following day. Was told at first by my superior it was approved immediately followed by a text stating it was not advised to have 2 staff with one consumer so I continued to work 2 shifts alone with the consumer after requesting not to. The company only made an attempt to have two staff working while I am present after a state investigator made a complaint to the administration about the situation a few days later after I had verbally notified them of my intent to resign and in writing after I informed them the male staff working could not make it to his shift and I had to work alone and was given no back up yet again. Where would this land on the scale of a hostile work environment?

There is no scale. There is only hostile work environment or just a job that sucks.

Though your situation would appear to qualify as a hostile environment since it involves an assault of a sexual nature.

Google it and you'll find definitions that apply.

The question is: What do you want to do about it? Do you want to quit? Do you want to be reassigned? Do you want money?

Why you are still working there is beyond me.

I have googled it. I'm just trying to figure out if I am over thinking the situation and making a bigger deal than what it actually is or if others see it the same way I do ( outside of family,friends and coworkers because I feel their opinions match mine due to the personal association).
I tried being reassigned and was told it could happen when staffing made it possible and was only given backup staff for the first few days when a salaried employee was available to work with me as they would not be paid extra to assist. So at this point I'm just trying to feel out how to handle the situation of having to resign a position I held for 12 years due to unsafe circumstances.

I'm just trying to feel out how to handle the situation of having to resign a position I held for 12 years due to unsafe circumstances.

Only YOU can determine what is SAFE for you, YOU and YOU alone.

You must decide if it is time to go, or time to ignore things and soldier on to reach a 20 year, 25 year, or 30 year goal.

So at this point I'm just trying to feel out how to handle the situation of having to resign a position I held for 12 years due to unsafe circumstances.

At this point, you've pretty much shot your wad talking to friends and strangers on the internet. I suggest you consult an attorney who specializes in HWE and review your options. Get your ducks in a row regarding documentation and evidence in case you do have grounds for a lawsuit.

Back