Hostile work environment

confusedinCO

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I work in a hospital with a very demanding physician. Lately he has been questioning my credentials which I have provided all the documentation asked of me. In the past he has demanded certain individuals in our department be relieved of their duties which has not happened. Other employees feel threatened and the other day things were busy and not going as he liked. He asked me a question I could not answer and asked him to speak to the director. He was very frustrated and called the director and said to him over the phone and in the presence of 2 other employees that he could kill me. I am feeling threatened not only for my job but my life. What can I do ?

Do about what?

What's your goal?

I hardly think that your life is in jeopardy.

Do you want to punish the doctor by taking his money? Getting him fired?

Do you want to quit and qualify for unemployment?

As to hostile work environment, not sure I see that, but I'll let CBG (the HR maven) handle that question.

Meantime, if you don't like your working conditions or the people that boss you around you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning in employment law. What you have described may be very unpleasant but it is not an HWE in the legal sense.

It is fairly common for someone who is angry to make the statement, "I could kill you/he/she/it" but it rarely means more than just an expression of anger. Very, very few people who make that statement actually kill anyone. So why in this case are you feeling that your life is in danger?

Beyond that I, like AJ, would like to know what it is that you want to have happen next.

Sounds like he is an "equal opportunity" jacka$$....but that is not illegal.

Has anyone complained to HR about the situation? With specific examples? That, asking for a transfer if available or quitting is about the only choices you have. And in the end, as we have seen, HR/higher level management may feel it's better to keep a bad attitude doctor than lose a good assistant/nurse or whatever your position is.

Back