Homeowners association change in bylaws to 55+

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak1124

New York State

I own a townhouse that is part of an Association. I purchased the townhouse 3 years ago.

I had recently gotten a letter from the association that they will be voting to make the Association a "55+ community", which means they will only allow us to sell our units to adults who are over 55 years of age. They site that they have the right to make this move because 80% of the people in the Association are 55+ in age.

Half of the units are 2 story units, and I know for a fact, that they have been very difficult to sell to seniors because the bedrooms are on the second floor. My fear is that if I wish to sell the place in the future, I will have to drop the value significantly to sell to seniors.

I did some reseach on the Housing for Older Persons Act and it seems to me like there are 2 requirements that need to be met:

a) 80% of the people are over the age of 55.
b) Policies and practices are in place to accomodate seniors.

My question is, if the association makes such a move and it passes, as part of the second requirement, would they be required to help those people who own 2 story units make them senior accesible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back