Homeowner paints yellow curb near driveway

yellowline

Jurisdiction
New York
I live in Queens in New York City. I parked my car in front of a house in a residential neighborhood. It looks like the homeowner painted a yellow line in yellow paint on the curb on his driveway and a liberal way on each side of his driveway. It looks like he drives a van and probably wants extra space. There was plenty of space for a vehicle to turn into the driveway and my car was in this person's yellow painted area by about 4 inches. When I returned to my car several hours later I found a parking ticket on my car.

I wonder whether the homeowner called the police or the police officer was influenced by the paint. I want to know what is the law for parking next to a driveway in the street and not blocking any part of the curved area where the curb lowers from sidewalk level to the street.

I wonder whether the homeowner called the police or the police officer was influenced by the paint.

If you're that curious, contact the court or the police department and inquire.

There is no way some dumb, internet stranger (among which I am one) would or could know.

I want to know what is the law for parking next to a driveway in the street and not blocking any part of the curved area where the curb lowers from sidewalk level to the street.

What you now wish to know was taught during some portion of your driver training, or when YOU read the manual issued by every drivers licensing agency all across our great nation.

Here you go, I saved you the trouble of using any internet search engine to answer your question:

Parking or standing is not allowed:
In front of a driveway. Within 20 feet (6 m) of a crosswalk at an intersection. Within 30 feet (10 m) of a traffic light, STOP sign or YIELD sign. Within 20 feet (6 m) of a fire station driveway, or within 75 feet (23 m) on the opposite side of the road.

The actual site where you can learn more about traffic laws:

Chapter 7: Parallel Parking

What code section were you cited with violating (it may have a combination of letters and numbers, so include the whole thing)?

If you believe the yellow curb was not painted by the city, then contact the city to find out.

Yellow curbs mean nothing in NYC. You need to provide the charge as stated on the parking Notice of Violation. If you can't read it you should be able to pull up the NoV online.

Judge: those restrictions you cited do not apply in New York City

New York City is the only municipality in New York State that has the authority to promulgate it's own traffic laws, which are contained in the New York City Traffic Rules. All city parking violations are right in there. The VTL parking statutes do not apply in the city.

Judge: those restrictions you cited do not apply in New York City

Right you are, good sir.
I forgot that NYC, along with its cross continent cousin (LAX), are "city states"!

My guess is that parking enforcement (outside of Manhattan), receives very little attention in the outlying territories.

Some years ago, I remember visiting one of my wife's cousins for the weekend in January.

A snowstorm dropped 6-8 inches of snow overnight.

People were shoveling out their parking spaces and driveways.

Suddenly a big brouhaha broke out when someone removed a bunch of boxes and chairs another person used to "reserve" his freshly shoveled parking space.

All I remember is that there appeared to be a mob versus mob.

I've seen lots of "crazy" in my lifetime, my friend, but "There's no "crazy" like Far Rockaway "crazy", said her cousin Sweets.

Back