Homeowner owes contractor $2900..Do I have a case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floorguy1990

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hello people of the law!

I have an LLC business that specializes in flooring installations and (non addition) remodeling projects such as kitchen and bathroom renovations.

I had completed a larger kitchen renovation in winter-spring of 2021. The total bill of the estimate was for $29,950 and included demo the entire kitchen (not drywall) of cabinets, old switches and light fixtures, and ceramic tile flooring with subfloor.

I did the job for a very reasonable price since the estimate included adournous kitchen cabinets (my cost alone was 13k), the Ripout, installing new ceramic 600 sq. (With new hardi back cement subfloor) through kitchen, dining room, hall and bathroom. Switched around layout of island and reconfigured plumbing, lights/ and electrical. The list goes on and on.

I get about 3/4 off the way paid and customer was happy despite delays with cabinets. I had promised to send an updated invoice with extra expenses that was not in original estimate. after the job was completed I went through a couple of traumatic family situations and never sent the "updated quote until 1 year passes.

Now I'm just trying to get paid for what was in the original estimate and because a few areas of grout that are chipping out she is withholding several thousand dollars.

I'm not licensed in NJ but my father also has his own flooring company and a registered contractor in PA. I have reciepts and records of everything and checks that she has sent and I cashed. I don't have any legal wording in my invoices or contracts but my software confirms payments and the approvals of the estimates. I did not pull any permits because most of the electric was swapping out old things with new, same with plumbing. Her only other complaint was the faucet was never installed correctly and leaked. This faucet was not new and neither was her vanity in the bathroom off the hallway. She never bother calling I'm sure since she knew she still owed me.

I offered to buy her a new vanity and fix the few areas of grout that are cracked/falling out. But, instead she wants to not pay the full balance and refuse for the problems to be addressed.

Any help or advice on if I would have a case? the job was located in Brigantine, NJ.

Any help or advice on if I would have a case? the job was located in Brigantine, NJ.

You MIGHT have a problem, pilgrim.

Do contractors have to be licensed in NJ?
To do home construction and many types of substantial home repairs in New Jersey, an individual must be a licensed contractor. Obtaining an NJ contractor license requires the contractor to register with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, a process that involves multiple smaller steps.

Do contractors have to be licensed in NJ? – Firstlawcomic

General Contractors License New Jersey | NJ Contractors License

Home Repair Contractor License FAQs

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/Pages/hic.aspx

Licensed Vs. Unlicensed Contractors: What You Need to Know

Your guide to getting an NJ contractor license

Thank you for the resources!

I mentioned my dad having a contractors license in PA since my company is really just an extension of his in order to keep our books separate when I order inventory.

but after looking through one of the links you sent I seen that NJ doesn't acknowledge/ reciprocate license' out of state so I think I may be screwed.

I mentioned my dad having a contractors license in PA since my company is really just an extension of his

It appears that NJ requires registration instead of licensing, unless you do plumbing and electric.

You're either registered or not.

I did not pull any permits because most of the electric was swapping out old things with new, same with plumbing.

Maybe a handyman making a few repairs wouldn't need a permit but I can guarantee you that a $30,000 job needs one. You'll be in deep doodoo if she goes to the state.

I suggest you forget about that $2900 and write it off as the consequences of working illegally.

If you want to work under your father's license/registration make sure his company name and registration number are on the estimates and invoice.

Yea I kinda figured that if a judge asks if I had permits it would look bad on my part that none were pulled. we did a decent amount of electrical and the hardest thing I did was running a new 220 volt line to the new double oven location that I did have a licensed electrician to tie into the panel and hardwire to the stove.

this was after I did all the grunt work of drilling the holes through the floor beams and crawling through the crawl space about 50 feet from the oven to the panel.

thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it.
my business is registered in that I have an EIN number to pay taxes. Also have liability insurance but I'm going to take the necessary steps to get licensed and fully insured with workmans comp to continue bidding on higher end jobs.

going to take it as a big learning lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back