Personal Bankruptcy Home Loan Modification after filing Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRay

I went through 3 sample loan modification prior to being told by Bank of America that I would be better off to file Bankruptcy. In August of 2012 I filed for Bankruptcy and included my Home Loan to Bank of America and on Nov 1st 2012 my home loan changed lenders 4 days later it was discharged in my Bankruptcy. For the past 2 years since the Bankruptcy my lender has changed 1 more time and they have asked me not to move out and now they are offering me a loan modification on a house I included in my Bankruptcy.
The debt was discharged in my Bankruptcy but they are still billing me as if it wasn't and are trying to convince me that I can still do a Modification but won't disclose the terms and are telling me to make the 3 sample payments and then they will make me an offer and disclose the terms. I always wanted to keep my house but the value is less than it was and the payments are extremely late. If I don't like their offer after making the sample payments, have I messed up my Bankruptcy?

I went through 3 sample loan modification prior to being told by Bank of America that I would be better off to file Bankruptcy. In August of 2012 I filed for Bankruptcy and included my Home Loan to Bank of America and on Nov 1st 2012 my home loan changed lenders 4 days later it was discharged in my Bankruptcy. For the past 2 years since the Bankruptcy my lender has changed 1 more time and they have asked me not to move out and now they are offering me a loan modification on a house I included in my Bankruptcy.
The debt was discharged in my Bankruptcy but they are still billing me as if it wasn't and are trying to convince me that I can still do a Modification but won't disclose the terms and are telling me to make the 3 sample payments and then they will make me an offer and disclose the terms. I always wanted to keep my house but the value is less than it was and the payments are extremely late. If I don't like their offer after making the sample payments, have I messed up my Bankruptcy?

You should discuss this with your bankruptcy attorney, or a bankruptcy attorney in your area.
When you visit the attorney9s) make sure you take all documentation related to your previous bankruptcy.
Bottom line, you don't want to do anything until your attorney has properly advised you.
Whatever you do, don't solicit advice from strangers, even if they are attorneys UNKNOWN to you on the internet.

Why don't you discuss it with some experienced bankruptcy attorney? As per your description your case is complicated enough to get solution. Contact some experienced lawyer near you to discuss the matter to get best solution.

Modifying the already existing but discharged loan WILL NOT revive your personal liability. A loan modifications IS NOT a reaffirmation agreement (not that you could enter into one this late in the game). What you DO NOT want is a refinance. Refinancing is a new loan that "takes out" the old one.

If you wish to try a loan mod under HAMP or some similar program (but not HARP as that is a refi) feel free to explore the options.

Des.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back