Home buyer needs FHA Loan but one of my Shared-Well Neighbors won't sign for it

childgclj4

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
I'm trying to sell my house in NH, which we have a shared-well with 3 other neighbors but the well is on my property. A young couple with a child wants to buy my house and they need an FHA loan. For them to get approved for the loan, everyone on the shared-well agreement needs to sign a paper for it to go through for some reason. However, one neighbor refuses to sign and even hangs up calls from other neighbors and my real estate agent who are trying to get them to sign. Why they won't sign, I have no idea. I really need to sell this house and this neighbor is making it very difficult for me.

Is there anything I can do or legal action I can pursue (that won't cost me money)?

Is there anything I can do or legal action I can pursue (that won't cost me money)?

There is NOTHING you can do to ease your dilemma that won't cost money.

However, why not drill a new well?

Yeah, it costs someone money, but you could discount the sales price of the home accordingly, or work out an arrangement to split the costs with the potential buyer.

The other parties owe you NO legal duty to assist you with the sale of your home.

No court in this land could order either of the other parties to sign a document which benefits you solely.

Again, life isn't about the law.

You could offer the other party MONEY to sign the document.

I've found most people will work with you if you INCENTIVIZE them, rather than BRUTALIZE them.

I really need to sell this house and this neighbor is making it very difficult for me.

Nope.

Figure out what will cost you the least, paying the neighbor for his signature, digging your own well or losing the sale and having to remarket it in the hopes of finding somebody who doesn't need an FHA loan.

I've found most people will work with you if you INCENTIVIZE them, rather than BRUTALIZE them.

Agreed. The old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." If you want someone to do something for you that they do not have to do then find something to offer them that makes it worthwhile for them to help you. Signing this document isn't going to help the neighbor and depending on what this document says it might even mean the neighbor is giving up some right he or she has. So there is not much incentive here for the neighbor to play ball unless you give him/her something to go along with what you want.

Back