HOA Late fee lein

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondermom

We have lived in the same house and neighborhood for over 4 years and never missed a quarterly homeowners dues payment. To the best of our knowledge we were not aware that they property management company had changed in January of this year. Our payments were mailed for January, April and July to the old propery manager. Our January and April checks were cashed. The July check was never cashed. I recieved only one notice on September 5 indicating that my HOA fee was overdue and my account was being referred to an attorney for collection. I immediately called the attorney and left a message regarding the situation and stated that I mailed the payment but it had not been cashed. I received a call back from the attorney 2 days later and then the following day recieved a registered letter stating that they were going to put a lein on my house if I did not pay the fee plus attorney fees.

I stated my case and provided my proof that the check was mailed to the HOA and they decided to uphold the process and the attorney fees. I was told that I recieved a 30 day and 60 day delinquency notice. I have no record of recieving either. I have paid my July payment to the attorney and will continue to pay my quarterly payments. My question is - can they do this to me and if I just continue to pay my dues but don't pay the attorney fees can they still put a lien on my house.

- I must also mention that at the time the supposed notice came through my husband was serving his second tour of duty in Iraq and I was a working single mother of 3 children so it might have come in as a notice of the change and not be identified by me.

Thank you for the advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back