Hit and run driver protected by criminal defense lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimata

All, I was lucky enough to locate the vehicle that was involved in a hit and run with my wifes vehicle. We know who the person is now, but he is currently eluding law enforcement. He has a long history of DUI's and has employed a good lawyer. So far, I have no information regarding whether he was even insured or not. My question is, what information is his lawyer obligated to provide to me? The point is, this guy belongs in jail but is scott free and I don't know if he even had insurance to cover the accident.

I've called his lawyer's office, and they act totally oblivious to the situation while this guy is free to continue to drink and drive. Do I have any recourse at all? It's all very frustrating. Any advice is appreciated.

We know who the person is now, but he is currently eluding law enforcement.

If you have filed a complaint with the police that is all that you can do. It is a criminal matter for the police and the courts.

If you had insurance then you need to file with them. If not then you can file suit, small claims if the damage was minor. The papers can be served on his attorney of record.

I've called his lawyer's office, and they act totally oblivious to the situation while this guy is free to continue to drink and drive. Do I have any recourse at all?

Attorneys are not babysitters. Their obligation is to defend their client of any pending charges.

Thanks for the reply, but I think that there is plenty that I can do. If it weren't for my wife and I locating him in the first place (not law enforcement), I'd have nothing at this point. Yes, with or without assistance from the police, judges or lawyers, there is plenty I can do. I plan to track this guy down and do everything withing my means legally to make this guy miserable.

Also, I in no way expect lawyers to be babysitters. I simply want access to information that I am entitled to, such as wether or not this scum had insurance.

If the law had done its job before our accident, this lowlife wouldn't have been on the road anyway, and I plan to do whatever it takes to make sure he gets put away this time. I have no faith in the law helping me at all.

If you'd like to see his court records, that include a long list of violations and 5 open cases, I'd be glad to provide those. Maybe you'd have a better understanding of how the law was able to take care of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back