hit and run can't track the owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dllzf

We live in Ohio and have an Ohio driver's licence. The at-fault party seems to hold a non-Ohio licence. The accident happened in Ohio.

We were hit by a hit and run driver. No one is injured but the car seems like totaled. The at-fault party hit us and drive away really fast. There are about 4 witnesses at present, but since he drives really fast, none of the witness can identify his look. (according to our memory, which we are not 100% sure, the car window is black and it is not a regular see through window, and it is even harder to recognized the driver) Right now the police officer had obtained the vehicle's information, which is really wired and he can't contact the owner of the car. The register address is a camp ground. The associate phone number has no one answering the call or returning the phone call. Since no one could say that the owner is the driver, the police officer can't arrest the owner.
If the owner of the vehicle keep ignoring the calls, is there any other action we could do. It seems obvious that the owner, who's very likely to be the owner, must have some information about who's the driver at the time. Can't the court enforce him to present?

The police officer says hit and run is a criminal offense, so he will prosecute the driver. Will hiring a lawyer doing us any good at all at this point??????

There is also a problem that if we hire an attorney and file the complaints by ourselves, what if the court calling notice can't be deliver to the car owner? Giving the wired register address and unreliable driver, can the court do something to make him appear in the court.

Our insurance is only liability insurance, they won't do anything for us.

Since you reported the accident to your ins. co. & they will not do anything, you might want to run the situation by an attorney & see what they say.

This is why you should have full coverage insurance. If you do just pay your deductible and let insurance handle everything. If the driver is ever identified you could sue for your deductible.
If you do not have insurance coverage for this then you are pretty much stuck. The owner might eventually be found and held responsible, but proving who the driver was for a hit and run will be near impossible.
Handle through insurance and leave attorneys alone at this point.

I can't believe you actually blame me for not having the right type of insurance! The other party is at fault!!!!! Even if I have the comprehensive insurance, I don't even go through my insurance! I hardly know the other party, why should my insurance premium goes up when he's at fault. I do NOT want to pay for other's mistake.
When the bad people running away, and you are questioning the victim why didn't you defend yourself? LMAO

It isn't about blame. The accident was the other persons fault, but not everyone is responsible, and not everyone has insurance. That is why, to protect yourself from these situations, you carry the proper coverage. If you cut costs on insurance coverage you do so at the risk of having this sort of crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back