Hiring a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex8111

Can i hire a minor who is 16 to work on a commission basis? Since minors are not legally be bound to contracts or as an independent contractor, is there any way to do this? Or is my only option to hire this person as my employee? What options do I have to work with him?

Thanks for your help.

Can i hire a minor who is 16 to work on a commission basis? Since minors are not legally be bound to contracts or as an independent contractor, is there any way to do this? Or is my only option to hire this person as my employee? What options do I have to work with him?
A contract for employment is a contract just the same way as an independent contractor and a determining factor is one of control. There may be other reasons to hire him as one or the other. I think that your concern is one regarding the law I don't think that minors are not generally bound by contracts except for "necessities" which can be food, cars, etc.

The most important place to look for what your options are is with the law for the state you are in, which will govern the relationship of employer/employee relationship. You will frequently see references to these statutes on web sites of colleges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back