Hired under false pretenses? Do I have recourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swill69

Please note, I don't believe I have recourse in this matter and would hesitate to pursue it regardless, but several folks have recommended I look into it.

I accepted a position with a publicly traded company for a position in Philadelphia. This position will require me to relocate my family to the area - not done yet. During the interview process I expressed my concerns about the transition with the incumbent. I was told the incumbent would be re-assigned to another position and that it would happen within 45 to 60 days of my starting.

It has been well over 60 days and after several meeting with executives, the transition is still pending. At the last meeting, I offered to discuss separation if I was not who they wanted.

My offer letter states my promised title, position and compensation. The major reason I think that I don't have any recourse is that the company is paying me for what was promised in the letter. The "damages" I am incurring is the loss to my professional reputation and other opportunities, of which I had several, I was considering before selecting this position. Essentially, I have wasted 5 months of my career and taken a hit to my professional standing - not sure how to quantify this.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Regards

But you're still employed, correct?

Being compensated per your offer letter?

I'm not seeing the loss to your reputation. Could you perhaps elaborate on that?

Still employed and receiving compensation per letter.

My "public" title (offer letter had executive title) is for several positions lower that what I was hired. Others in the the industry, it is small, have commented that I really took a major step down - maybe a step or two above entry-level vs. a director or VP role.

I do not think I have any recourse as I am still employed and they are paying me appropriately. Depending the feedback, I can tell folks telling me to get an attorney, that I looked into it.

Thanks

Still employed and receiving compensation per letter.

My "public" title (offer letter had executive title) is for several positions lower that what I was hired. Others in the the industry, it is small, have commented that I really took a major step down - maybe a step or two above entry-level vs. a director or VP role.

I do not think I have any recourse as I am still employed and they are paying me appropriately. Depending the feedback, I can tell folks telling me to get an attorney, that I looked into it.

Thanks

You care, no one else cares.

You can sue.

You have the right to sue anyone you want to sue.

But, you have no case.

If I were you, I'd find another position with another company.

I don't think its about you, so much as the other person.

They might see things differently.

He or she might have cleaned up their act.

The incumbent is known, you aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back