Hired under false pretences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hbug3396

In July I was asked if I wanted to come and work with a company. The benefits and hourly pay were better than where I was so I took the job beginning September 1, 2013.
Th position is union so my medical benefits cover me and my children, I have not yet received these benefits, so my children and I are currently not covered and I have had no coverage since August. I was also hired with 2week paired vacation and now am being told that 1 week paid is all I am entitled to under union contract. I have received nothing from the union and paying dues. What actions can I take?

When I contacted HR I inquired about vacation and was told that I did not qualify for 1week paid until 1 year of employment. This was not what I was originally offered. HR said that they would look into it asking the woman who offered me the position.

You weren't hired under false pretense, you just didn't complete your due diligence before accepting the job. Sorry, that's your fault for trusting without verifying.

There is a difference between hiring under false pretenses and someone making a mistake.

You need to get a copy of your union contract. If it offers something contrary (better) than what you are being told, then your recourse is through your union (union rep). However; if your contract is as you are now being told, then there isn't much you can do. It was just an "honest" error/mistake.

If most of the benefits are through a union, you need to contact the union about membership and benefits. HR isn't going to help you join. That isn't their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back