Hired at one wage paid another

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs2484

I was hired recently to a new employer who advirtised in the paper for 15.00/hr. I can obtain a copy of the paper. Upon my interview I was informed the position would pay $7.00+tips which I considered a verbal contract. I was hired during that interview. Upon the reciept of my first paycheck, I was only paid $7.00/hr for my training period and then paid $2.63/hr+tips for the rest of my time, which upon complaint was not changed thinking it was an accounting error. Now the general manager who hired me is telling me that I misunderstood her and that my wage will be minimum wage (2.63+tips), because every waitress in the restaurant makes that. My wages were discussed openly with 6 other employees objecting to my pay. I expressed that my wage is no one else's concern and that they had the oppurtunity to negotiate thier wages, the same as I, and that what I make ought to be private and of no concern of other employees. I left a job with benefits from Exxon for this job because I had been hired at this new position with higher earnings. The difference in wage is about 1/3 of my net pay per week. What recourse would I have to recoop my earnings? What protection would I have under the law to keep me from being fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back