Hired and told owner was on vacation,to find out he's in prison and company is in a downward spiral.

Matty518

Jurisdiction
New York
I was hired by a company and told by everyone the owner was on vacation and would be back soon. Well to make a long story short even the owners gf told me he was on vacation.. I was hired under the pretense that the owner has lead this company for 32 years and a great man... Now this company is in a downward spiral and I just found out via a global tel link call he's in prison.. I was lied to and now lost opportunity with other companies and is there legal action I can take with proper proof??

Sounds like a combination of assumptions, lies and not doing due diligence to research the state of the owner/company before you accepted the job. While his employees can hide a prison term, I have to doubt it wouldn't have popped up in company/name searches online.

If you had any type of case, you would have to prove damages --> Did you have solid provable offers that you turned down or just "opportunities"? It's hard to prove that those other offers would have worked out the way you think they might have if not. Just an open position or an interview doesn't lead to a loss of a potential job.

Even then if this company is in a downward spiral, I have to wonder even if somehow you prevailed in some type of judgment whether they would even be able to pay it to you.

If it were me, I would move on from it.

There is such a thing as "detrimental reliance" where sometimes if you suffered damages/a loss from what you relied on, you might have recourse. However, it's a contract law concept as opposed to labor law. There would need to have been a contract between you & the business.

In your case, you just need to move on. Sorry.

Back