HIPAA Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardWorker412

Sorry, posted inthe wrong thread. This is the right place for my inquiry.
If a worker in the IT department of a hospital, who comes in contact with nursing staff ALL the time, had the following happened, would it be any type of HIPAA violation:

Would it be a violation for a nurse to tell IT Tech about a patient's condition (no name or other identifiable information)?
Would it be a violation for that IT Tech to later that day tell other IT co-workers about this patient's condition(no name or other identifiable information)?

Sorry, posted inthe wrong thread. This is the right place for my inquiry.
If a worker in the IT department of a hospital, who comes in contact with nursing staff ALL the time, had the following happened, would it be any type of HIPAA violation:

Would it be a violation for a nurse to tell IT Tech about a patient's condition (no name or other identifiable information)?
Would it be a violation for that IT Tech to later that day tell other IT co-workers about this patient's condition(no name or other identifiable information)?

Why does this matter?

Its all just gossip.

People talk.

Even if you were able to PROVE this, so what?

Ok, so then one of those other IT staff members then feels this is a violation and reports it to compliance. Who then opens an investigation and both the nurse and the IT get suspended for two weeks without pay for a HIPAA Violation. Stating that the IT guy had no reason to know the condition of the patient and the IT guy had no reason to tell this patient's issue/condition to other non clinical staff.

So, I agree, so what. Except apparently the hospital feels it was. So, was it or were these two suspended without pay for no reason and should fight to retrieve their pay?

Given that the hospital can face rather large fines, it's only natural they'd want to CYA as best they can.

The two employees have no recourse (and may find themselves out of a job).

Agree with Proserpina & even if it wasn't a HIPAA violation, the hosp. can suspend the nurse & IT person for passing around information about a patient.

Ok, so then one of those other IT staff members then feels this is a violation and reports it to compliance. Who then opens an investigation and both the nurse and the IT get suspended for two weeks without pay for a HIPAA Violation. Stating that the IT guy had no reason to know the condition of the patient and the IT guy had no reason to tell this patient's issue/condition to other non clinical staff.

So, I agree, so what. Except apparently the hospital feels it was. So, was it or were these two suspended without pay for no reason and should fight to retrieve their pay?

Never kick the sleeping bear.

If I were one of these two, I'd take my beat down and let it go.

If I were to fight it, I'd expect them to get me sooner or later.

When I returned to work, I'd ONLY discuss business related matters.

Its okay to say good morning, hello, or good bye.

I suspect that someone would be keeping a close eye on me when I returned.

I'd also start looking for new employment, because its hard to walk that straight line forever.

Never kick the sleeping bear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and it will be passed alone. The IT member was one of my staff and I feel horrible that something that happens EVERY day here is now causing him to have a mark on his record. He is my TOP employee and has be a loyal and valued member of my team for 7 years. I just feel bad and wish I could do more for him, so any advice will be better than my just sitting here wishing and not doing anything.

I hate to say it, but as I understand HIPAA, the answers to your two questions above are Yes and Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back