HIPAA violation - Hospital Empl gave out my contact info

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemar765

Hi,

I want to know if I have a case to sue a hospital employee for HIPAA violation. The employee gave my address, phone number and my son's medical information to my son's father. I am not involved with his father and purposely did not provide his father with my contact information or medical information. The employee who is also the girlfriend of my son's father has been fired for HIPAA violation but I want to know if I have a case to sue her.

Penalties Under HIPAA

42 USC 1320d-5 General penalty for failure to comply with requirements and standards

(a) General penalty
(1) In general Except as provided in subsection (b), the Secretary shall impose on any person who violates a provision of this part a penalty of not more than $100 for each such violation, except that the total amount imposed on the person for all violations of an identical requirement or prohibition during a calendar year may not exceed $25,000.

42 USC 1320d-6 Wrongful disclosure of individually identifiable health information

(a) Offense

A person who knowingly and in violation of this part-
(1) uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier; (2) obtains individually identifiable health information relating to an individual; or (3) discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,

shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

(b) Penalties

A person described in subsection (a) shall-
(1) be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both; (2) if the offense is committed under false pretenses, be fined not more than $100,000, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both; and (3) if the offense is committed with intent to sell, transfer, or use individually identifiable health information for commercial advantage, personal gain, or malicious harm, be fined not more than $250,000, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

Awareness

The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and need an
attention of every one. This is the concern which exists in the
society and people should be aware of their legal rights.
Shelly Smith

Hippaa

I withdrew money from my retirement fund as a hardship. Whenever my retirement notices are sent out, on the front of the envelope it states that I have taken a hardship and the dates that they were taken. I am wondering if that is a HIPPAA LAW violation? No one in the post office needs to know that. I have ask several times to stop it. They did stop at one point now it is happening again.

I withdrew money from my retirement fund as a hardship. Whenever my retirement notices are sent out, on the front of the envelope it states that I have taken a hardship and the dates that they were taken. I am wondering if that is a HIPPAA LAW violation? No one in the post office needs to know that. I have ask several times to stop it. They did stop at one point now it is happening again.

You NEED to start your own thread as opposed to "hijacking" a "dead" thread that "belongs" to another member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back