Other Criminal Charges & Offenses hindering apprension of a felon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostgirl0507

I have a question on the subject of hindering apprehension of a felon. I was arrested with this charge on my warrant. I would like to know how much trouble I am in, if the person I was "hindering" was my bf and I knew he had a warrant, was going to do prison time and let him see his daughter before this all happened. I also tried to explain to him he needed to turn himself in sooner rather than later or the consequences could be worse for him in the long run.

I am waiting for my appointed attorney, I do not have the funds to hire one. I have not been talking to anybody really. I heard the warrant was issued because I lied to two officers stating "I did not know the where abouts of my bf" when in reality, I had not been questioned by anybody.

I have another question. I bonded out and so did my bf. Are we not allowed to communicate with each other? (ex. phone, text, face to face contact) I mean can he not see his kids either?

You need to quit making your relationship more important than your freedom and your child! If someone lese can take his child to see him fine but you stay away as ordered. Where will child go if your both in jail!? Think about that

Your in serious trouble! Do not talk to Police or DA talk to an Attorney

I have been researching some information about this situation, would the "Texas First Time Offender Felony Charge Act of 1996" be something I should be looking more into?

I forgot to mention, this is my first time ever being in trouble with the law.

To put it more bluntly, child services can have you both deemed unfit and the child removed from your care.

Again, this is my first time EVER being in trouble with the law. When I was arrested, my kids were left with the grandparents. I am just trying to find out more information to gain knowledge so I know pretty much what I am facing. I know trouble, but will i do time? or since this is a first offense will it be a lesser outcome?

Thank you, I will. I just wanted to know a little beforehand what I was looking at.

Relax, your attorney will help you iron this out.
If things are as you described, you might even get the charge dismissed.
Your charge requires you to know he was wanted.
I can't advise you specifically, but I can suggest you to think.
No one can ever PROVE what you knew and when you knew it!

That said,this type of charge is often retaliatory.
When you speak with your attorney he/she will ask you if you KNEW he was wanted.
The answer to that question is what will drive your case.

THINK!
Think before you answer.
Do not answer here.
THINK.

Remember what I said, NO ONE CAN KNOW WHAT YOU KNEW.
But, if you speak and blab the WRONG answer (for you), it can hurt you.
If you are convicted, with no priors, you'll likely get pled out to a lesser charge (probably hindering or obstructing).
In the end, if convicted,you'll get probation.
Bottom line,this entire episode will eventually be wiped clean from your spotless record.
Relax and speak only to your lawyer.
I'd avoid the guy for the present, focus on YOU and forget him.
Concentrate on your kids and yourself.
Save yourself, not him.

I agree with the above.
The charge requires intent. Nothing in the information given here suggests there was any intent to hinder the arrest. Even knowledge of the warrant would not by itself be enough to say you had intent to hinder the arrest. They will have to show some deliberate action on your part that was taken with the purpose of helping the wanted person avoid capture.
Having been charged with the offense is not the same as being convicted. Many people are charged with offenses they did not commit and have them dismissed due to lack of evidence before things proceed very far.
As said above, think carefully about anything you say regarding this because your responses are probably the only evidence that will be used against you. In fact, don't talk about it, except with your attorney.

These statement you made "I also tried to explain to him he needed to turn himself in sooner rather than later or the consequences could be worse for him in the long run.

. I heard the warrant was issued because I lied to two officers stating "I did not know the where abouts of my bf" when in reality, I had not been questioned by anybody."

Suggest you did have knowledge of the warrant and his need to surernder

These statement you made "I also tried to explain to him he needed to turn himself in sooner rather than later or the consequences could be worse for him in the long run.

. I heard the warrant was issued because I lied to two officers stating "I did not know the where abouts of my bf" when in reality, I had not been questioned by anybody."

The issue here is intent and knowledge.
Moose nailed it above,when stating that mere knowledge of a warrant for the arrest of someone doesn't attach a legal duty to reveal the whereabouts of the wanted party.

Thesis aspecificintentcrime and an action such as giving money to the wanted party to allow him to further evade apprehension.
Silence is often golden!!!!!

I didn't say this correctly. After being arrested, and when I got home, the chief of the sheriff's office told my parents he had to issue my warrant because I "lied to two officers about knowing where he was". This was my warrant I was talking about.

When I was telling him to turn himself in sooner rather than later, I'm not sure if the warrant had been issued already?

Relax, your attorney will help you iron this out.
If things are as you described, you might even get the charge dismissed.
Your charge requires you to know he was wanted.
I can't advise you specifically, but I can suggest you to think.
No one can ever PROVE what you knew and when you knew it!

That said,this type of charge is often retaliatory.
When you speak with your attorney he/she will ask you if you KNEW he was wanted.
The answer to that question is what will drive your case.

THINK!
Think before you answer.
Do not answer here.
THINK.

Remember what I said, NO ONE CAN KNOW WHAT YOU KNEW.
But, if you speak and blab the WRONG answer (for you), it can hurt you.
If you are convicted, with no priors, you'll likely get pled out to a lesser charge (probably hindering or obstructing).
In the end, if convicted,you'll get probation.
Bottom line,this entire episode will eventually be wiped clean from your spotless record.
Relax and speak only to your lawyer.
I'd avoid the guy for the present, focus on YOU and forget him.
Concentrate on your kids and yourself.
Save yourself, not him.

Thank you so much. That really makes me feel a lot more at ease esp since I have to wait to speak to an attorney at court.

Correction above:

The issue here is intent and knowledge.
Moose nailed it above,when stating that mere knowledge of a warrant for the arrest of someone doesn't attach a legal duty to reveal the whereabouts of the wanted party.

This is a specific intent crime and requires an action such as giving money to the wanted party to allow him to further evade apprehension.
Silence is often golden!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back