High water bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikky

Jurisdiction
Manitoba
I am a 22 year old student who is renting a 1 bedroom house. I recently recieved a water bill for 7500$. I did not realize that my toilet had been running continuously. The water company said I have to pay this bill because I am responsible for detecting leaks. I have repaired the toilet. Now what do I do? I cannot afford this bill... is my landlord responsible to pay for some of it? Is there any way to fight this bill?

Since this site is concerned with US and not Canadian law, we have no way of knowing.

Without getting into specifics of country, the law is usually consistent in many jurisdictions. An issue occurs and someone must bear the brunt of damages. In your case, I don't think you have a defense. The water company delivered what it did at a price that was set. Unless they had some legal responsibility to notify customers of unusually high water consumption, the customer pays for what the customer receives. That you weren't aware of the problem isn't the issue. Someone has to bear the unfortunate circumstances. And what surprises me is that you didn't realize that the toilet was running... for now long? This must have been many days, probably weeks. Mitigation of damages is yet another challenge you may face to overcome.

I'm not saying that this is the law in Canada but I'd be surprised if it is any different by you. What is likely is that they realize they will have a challenge collecting. They may offer a discount of sorts. But before you even consider, you should check your lease and also with your landlord to determine whether an insurance policy may cover this type of issue.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble but not only am I not a licensed legal practitioner in Canada but I think you'll have a challenge with a defense as well as a matter of law. It may become a negotiation. Perhaps you have these other remedies such as insurance. Good luck.

I am a 22 year old student who is renting a 1 bedroom house. I recently recieved a water bill for 7500$. I did not realize that my toilet had been running continuously. The water company said I have to pay this bill because I am responsible for detecting leaks. I have repaired the toilet. Now what do I do? I cannot afford this bill... is my landlord responsible to pay for some of it? Is there any way to fight this bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back