Repairs, Maintenance High electric bill due to landlord not fixing issue

D

Danielle0124

Jurisdiction
Texas
We have had issues with the AC/Heating unit since we moved in. They have probably sent someone to my home at least 8 times to look into and "fix" the issues with the unit it self. They have replaced the unit inside as well as outside.
In September we noticed we were having issues with the unit not cooling correctly, so they sent someone out here and he did something and it was cooling. A few weeks later we noticed that it is not turning off at all. Of course, I call them back out and that is when they replace the outside unit, but the unit was STILL NOT shutting on and off. I call them back out three different times and they keep saying that nothing is wrong, but my unit is not shutting off. So my electric bill is now 600+ and they finally came out again (probably the 5th time this month) and say that is a motor issue on the unit that they put in. I am stuck with this bill and they are refusing to help. We knew something was wrong (hence the 5xs we called) but we are not professionals. Is there anything I can do to make them help with this bill??

Is there anything I can do to make them help with this bill??

By "them" you mean the landlord or the contractor? No. They are not responsible for the bill. You reported the issues. It's not their fault that it took repeated efforts to diagnose and repair the problem. It happens. The same thing likely would have happened if you owned the place and needed the same kind of repairs.

Sometimes in life bad things happen for which nobody can be held accountable.

See if your electric company might waive part of the bill based on the circumstances. Might not, but couldn't hurt to ask.

Back