Heterosexual employee being harassed by gay superior at Dept. of HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple2014

I am a heterosexual officer who works within the Department of Homeland Security in Los Angeles California. The Field Office Director (FOD) of the branch where I work is a homosexual male. He has intense dislike towards me because I rejected his advances and because I told him that as a Christian, I do not practice the gay lifestyle. This infuriated him. Now I am a target of his retaliations and harassments. I have filed an EEO in 2013 with the EEOC and I am still waiting for a decision. Also, more recently I also filed a grievance with local management because the harassments were continuing. The Acting District Director sided with the gay FOD and denied my grievance. I have appealed this denial to the Regional Director. I am now waiting to see if the Regional Director will defend me or side with the gay FOD who is abusing and harassing me. I know that the gay FOD is an out of control advocate of LGBT rights who does not care about employees who do not support LGBT causes.

What legal advice would you give me as to how to proceed to protect myself from being the victim of such discrimination and harassments?

There's really only one thing you can do at this point, and that's line up an attorney.

Regardless of the findings of the EEOC, you will most likely get a right to sue letter. Once you have that letter in hand, you only have 90 days to file a suit or you are forever barred from doing so. Therefore it would probably be a good idea for you to have a lawyer already to go. At this point, you can be interviewing attorneys who may be interested in working with you. If there is anything further that you can be doing before the EEOC rules, they will be able to tell you based on details that you have not and should not post here.

Apple2014:

I've found it best not to speak about anything in the work place except the weather, and I only say something along these lines:
"Gee, another great day. How can there be so many great days?"

In essence, you need to master the art of saying nothing, and keeping to yourself.

You were given great advice by "cbg", too.

From this point forward, I'd suggest offering no opinions about anything, unless its properly solicited and involves your job.

Otherwise, a smile and a blank stare always worked best for me.

As far as someone making sexual advances, its quite hard to prove independently.

Too bad you don't have witnesses to corroborate your assertions.

Unless I had proof, I'd have resigned, or started a new job search.

I wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back