Hes 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincgiov

I am 33 and I have a good friend and he is 18. We became friends in the summer. He recently got sent away to a juvenile boot camp because he did some things when he was 17 and they charged him as a juvenile. We write back and forth, I tell him I miss him and cant wait till he gets home. He writes me the same. Recently his grandma, who raised him, is having a fit about it. She is saying alot more than really went on between him and I. Now she keeps telling me she is going to press charges on me any way she can. His grandma did call his placement and had them stop his letters to me, which is not a concern of mine. I just want to know can she press any kind of charges on me. A simple frienship turned into a huge mess because of our ages. One more thing, I did not even know him when he got into his trouble.

I am left a little bewildered as to what a 33 year old has in common with an 18 year old with a criminal bent ... if not sex, then ... what?

In any event ... SHE can't pursue charges on you, only the state can. If the state can show that any unlawful activity had occurred between you, then you can be charged. if they can't, then you have nothing to worry about.

Grandma has a right to object to the relationship, but she really has no great standing to do anything when he gets out. if you are willing to support this kid when he gets out, and he's 18 or older (which you say he is) then that's between the two of you unless it violates a condition of his parole or probation at that time.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back