Hep C

N

nurse aide

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I just started a job nurse aide, yesterday I had my physical for the job and asked the dr if I am supposed to disclose that I have hepatitis c, he said as long as I take precautions like I am supposed to it shouldn't be a problem. Today was my first day after about two hours the head nurse took me in her room and told me that I disclosed at my appointment that I had hepatitis c, that I can not work with patients directly because of my hepatitis c, that she would try to see what else is available at the hospital for me to do, but for now I had to come home. My question is, is this legal?? I mean if I take all precautions to prevent a patients disease from infecting me as required how can I infect them, and isn't it a HIPAA violation for the doctor to be telling that information to my employer, he didn't write it down on my physical screening paper that I had to turn in so why did he go talk to the nurse about it, I wasn't their patient just employment screening. Just looking for advice I know that nurses sometimes get infected with this disease from patients, do they automatically lose their job then? I am pretty sure they do not, wish I would have known I was not obligated to tell anybody that but I thought I was doing the right thing

It isn't a HIPAA violation (most likely) but it is an ADA violation for your employer to hold it against you. And it is very possible to be a nurse with Hep C. My aunt is now retired but worked as an IV therapist for 30 years with Hep C she got as a nursing student from a patient. Especially with the protocols in place today, there should be no issue. I would speak with HR or Director of Nursing.

It isn't a HIPAA violation (most likely) but it is an ADA violation for your employer to hold it against you. And it is very possible to be a nurse with Hep C. My aunt is now retired but worked as an IV therapist for 30 years with Hep C she got as a nursing student from a patient. Especially with the protocols in place today, there should be no issue. I would speak with HR or Director of Nursing.

She is the director of nursing, said it was hospital policy cause it is a liability, but if I am following correct infectious disease control anyways I don't see why it is an issue or if it is legal to do that

It is scary that a DN doesn't know this is an ADA violation and yes, universal precautions are such that both patients and medical staff are protected. I'd take it up a level. Contact HR or your internal legal department. You can get more information or file a claim if escalating it doesn't work here Request Rejected

It is scary that a DN doesn't know this is an ADA violation and yes, universal precautions are such that both patients and medical staff are protected. I'd take it up a level. Contact HR or your internal legal department. You can get more information or file a claim if escalating it doesn't work here Request Rejected

Thank you I will talk to the guy in HR, still waiting for her to call me back and see what she says before proceeding just thought I would get some answers/ ideas just in case

Thank you I will talk to the guy in HR, still waiting for her to call me back and see what she says before proceeding just thought I would get some answers/ ideas just in case

This a very well written and informative article discussing the dilemma of telling an empoloyer that you are afflicted with HEP C.

Disclosing Hep C Status in the Workplace

Another very informative source:

Hepatitis C in the Workplace

The ADA site:

Request Rejected

Finally, an example of what can happen if an employer discriminates against persons with certain conditions:

Request Rejected

Back