Assault & Battery Help

J

Jp619

Jurisdiction
California
Hello I punched a guy for touching my wife I left the scene the cops called me I didn't speak with them I lawyered up but my wife gave her statement the cop called me after I already had a lawyer and he told me what I was being charged misteminor assault and battery and Felony for property damage I also asked if the guy I punched was ok and the cop answered yes can he be telling the truth ? Also we haven't heard anything it's been over a month my lawyer called and left messages but cop won't return the calls and still no police report has been made I been really nervous can't sleep it's my first offense ever

Thanks for your help guys

The police are allowed to lie to suspects although I can't see why he would in this case.

Rely on your lawyer to eventually get to the bottom of this.

You are right to keep your mouth shut. Too bad you couldn't get your wife to do the same.

Having asked if the other guy was ok could be construed as a confession. I know I would try to use it against you that way.
You should not talk to ANYONE other than an attorney about it. Until you receive a citation or a summons to court I wouldn't worry the least bit about it.
If your wife is the only witness against you then the case is probably pretty weak. Sometimes it takes time for petty stuff to work its way through the system though. They have a year to file the charge.

Back