Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prpledrms23

I currently live in San Diego, California, however, the debt was incurred in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

My last date of payment was May 2, 2000. I am curious about the SOL. Late last year I had ever intention to pay this off so I called Discover card and said I had a balance of zero. I asked, are you sure cause I do owe this money. They said yes, never said anything about it going into collections or charged off. So about a month ago I start getting these calls from three different people just saying their first name and numbers. No last name or company they work for. I dont return calls unless I know who you are or who you work for, so they finally got a hold of my boyfriend and told him it was a debt from Discover. Yeah, I never once received anything in the mail from anyone either!! Not even Discover.

I have every intention to pay this off, however, when I talked to him he wanted me to defer on my car loan ( I told him hell no!) Asked me to take out a loan or my b/f take out a loan or borrow money from family. I told him no as well that I will pay him 200.00 a month, take it or leave it. He demanded that I pay at least 600.00 a month for 6 months. I straight up told him I can not afford it and will not pay it. He said I can pay 200.00 a month but they will still start an investigation against me and send me to court. I have read all the acts and state laws and such but am still unsure of exactly what to do. I was told my SOL has run out and can send them a letter telling them to quit contacting me and they can't collect on a "time barred debt" But I dont know because it was incured in NM and at my last payment I joined the military and have been moving around a lot and have been over seas in two separate wars. Also, do you know of the Soldiers and Sailors Act?? I have done research and demanded that he knock my interest rate down to 6 % as I am entitled to but he played dumb. I really need your help!!! Layman terms are always appreciated. Thanks!
Oh yeah, I am currently waiting for a something in the mail from them. That's another story!:confused:

I'm confused -- your last statement date was zero yet you are fully willing to pay off the debt that you agree you owe. My guess is that the SOL (statute of limitations?) will probably not apply here but I don't have enough information to say more. I'm thinking that they are reaching the point where a suit will have to be filed suit but I wouldn't bank upon you getting out of this so easily...

Originally posted by prpledrms23
I currently live in San Diego, California, however, the debt was incurred in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

My last date of payment was May 2, 2000. I am curious about the SOL. Late last year I had ever intention to pay this off so I called Discover card and said I had a balance of zero. I asked, are you sure cause I do owe this money. They said yes, never said anything about it going into collections or charged off. So about a month ago I start getting these calls from three different people just saying their first name and numbers. No last name or company they work for. I dont return calls unless I know who you are or who you work for, so they finally got a hold of my boyfriend and told him it was a debt from Discover. Yeah, I never once received anything in the mail from anyone either!! Not even Discover.

I have every intention to pay this off, however, when I talked to him he wanted me to defer on my car loan ( I told him hell no!) Asked me to take out a loan or my b/f take out a loan or borrow money from family. I told him no as well that I will pay him 200.00 a month, take it or leave it. He demanded that I pay at least 600.00 a month for 6 months. I straight up told him I can not afford it and will not pay it. He said I can pay 200.00 a month but they will still start an investigation against me and send me to court. I have read all the acts and state laws and such but am still unsure of exactly what to do. I was told my SOL has run out and can send them a letter telling them to quit contacting me and they can't collect on a "time barred debt" But I dont know because it was incured in NM and at my last payment I joined the military and have been moving around a lot and have been over seas in two separate wars. Also, do you know of the Soldiers and Sailors Act?? I have done research and demanded that he knock my interest rate down to 6 % as I am entitled to but he played dumb. I really need your help!!! Layman terms are always appreciated. Thanks!
Oh yeah, I am currently waiting for a something in the mail from them. That's another story!:confused:

No I called Discover because I knew that I owed them money and when I called they said I didnt owe them anything. It was sent to collections and they never told me. Anyhoo, my SOL has run out so I'm not worried about it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back