help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsvideo

My husband applied for the coolidge fire dept. But 14 year ago, he was charged with a felony.Still in high school, sex with a minor, her family found out and they pressed charges.
He told the chief and city manager about the felony, they told him that it was ok with him if ok with the chief, and it was. so he put it on the application yes, to a felony. So he was put on the dept and was on there for 2 1/2 yrs., went through firemans I,II and college for emt, also applied for national registry for emt, and they need all the imformation on the felony, which he did and they approved of him to take the test. also 2006 voted by his peers fireman of the year. then a full time position came available to him and he was asked if he wanted it and of course he said yes. quited his job with the state of arizona (adot) of 12 years to become full time fireman. On full time for 2 months, then the city hired a new HR person, and she starts first with the fire dept. doing background checks and of course the felony came up and call him to the office and told him the he can resign or be terminated. and that was the end of that . I need to know if we can do anything, all he wants to do is get his job back, He regret what has happen in the past, but the laws need to change for the kids that are in high school that dont know the law.

thanks dsvideo

Was he 18 at the time? I am really surprised he got hired at all. Firefighting is a VERY competitive job and normally felons, especially those that commited a sex crime, are not hired for any public service job.

At any rate, he should be able to appeal the firing. There should be a board set up where he can plea his case. It's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back