Help with truancy/homeschool problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

anish1

I have a very good friend who's daughter has SEVERE asthma. She has missed quite a few days. She has been found truant by the court in spite of the fact that she has a doctors note for all of her absences.
My friend's daughter is also the only black kid in the school and as a result is bullied daily by the other students. Mom has tried repeatedly to resolve this with the school and is promised that it will be dealt with. The only change is that the bullying has gotten worse.
My friend wants to homeschool her daughter but the court told her that the only way she would be allowed to do this is if she went through a program accredited by the state of Michigan. She tried to find something and either they are closed to enrollment or the price is sky high (she is low income).
I did not think the court could dictate how a child is homeschooled (in Michigan). At least according to what I have read regarding Mich. homeschool law. I would think the Parental Rights Act would cover her.
She has a court appointed lawyer but, he doesnt seem to be doing anything aside from putting in time. He also told my friend that he knew nothing about homeschool law.
I really could use some input on this. Can a small town court really trump established Michigan law? :confused:

Seriously - the answers won't change no matter how many boards you post on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back