Criminal Trials, Hearings Help with being sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epircus

My previous friend is sueing me for 1400 dollar, for rent now everything is under his name when we had an apartment together, and we have nothing on paper stating our agreement.

He has also stolen my cell phone and sold it on ebay with out my knowldge I just found out a few days ago that he did this. What should i do pretaining the cell phone and How can I put this together in my defense agaisnt him?

Q: My previous friend is sueing me for 1400 dollar, for rent now everything is under his name when we had an apartment together, and we have nothing on paper stating our agreement.

A: The best advice I could give you is to hire a lawyer. If you cannot or will not do that, then go to court every time you are supposed to and tell the judge your side of the story.

Q: He has also stolen my cell phone and sold it on ebay with out my knowldge I just found out a few days ago that he did this. What should i do pretaining the cell phone and How can I put this together in my defense agaisnt him?

A: Tell the cellphone company what happened and cancel your account. As far as your defense goes, read my first answer.

First of all, this is a small claims issue so no attorneys are needed. It would probably cost you more to hire one.

All you can do is respond to the summons and appear in court and the judge will decide if you are owed money.

Your ex roommate is going to have to prove there was some sort of agreement for you to pay and how much. If you lived there scotch free and did not pay anything, you probably owe him a little something but in order for him to successfully win in court, he has to prove his case.

If he stole your cell phone, why didn't you file a police report? How can you not notice he had it? Hopefully you have turned off the service. Also you might want to put a complaint into to ebay and they will investigate and cancle his account if he is selling stolen items.

Q: I didnt notice the phone was missing because it was deactivated and i wasnt using it.

A: If it was deactivated, then the bad people could not use it. Old cellphones are virtually worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back