International Issue Help with a friend who is being held in canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

helplessfriend

I have a female friend of mine who is a US citizen (from Detroit, MI). She visited Toronto, Ontario and got mixed up with the wrong people. She was recently arrested for operating a bawdy-house. Either she has made bail for her criminal charges or they were dropped completely. She is still being held by Canada's immigration. This is the first time she has ever been to jail (she never even had a ticket in her life). I am trying to help her get released (either over there or deported back home), and I fear I am her only hope (I am her only true friend). I am not legal savvy at all and I am also a US citizen. My question is how would we go about getting her released or either deported....and which one would be faster. Thank you in advance for your help.

She should be given access to an attorney. If not, your best bet is to help her pay for an attorney in Canada.

Offering to voluntarily depart the country may be an option for her.

How would we go about her "Offering to voluntarily depart the country"? How soon could she do that, how long is that process, and who could I contact about this procedure?

You are really not in a position to do anything directly; if she's being held in a Canadian facility, she needs to be talking to them. If you know exactly where she is you can try to contact them but they're under no obligation to talk to you.

Honestly, this situation goes beyond the scope of a US law forum - you really need to be dealing with Canadian attorneys. Start calling around, see if you can find someone to give you a brief, cheap consult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back