Help understanding my lease terms regarding subleasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelt

Hello all,

I am attempting to sublease my apartment for the summer but I am having issues understanding my lease terms.

Regarding subleases it states:

At the time Landlord agrees to permit an assignee, subtenant, or replacement tenant to occupy the property, Tenant will pay Landlord:
(a) if Tenant procures the assignee, subtenant, or replacement tenant:
100 percent of one month rent that the assignee, subtenant, or replacement tenant is to pay.

Does this mean whatever amount I agree upon with a subleaser, I will have to pay one month of that amount on top of what I owe my landlord in our original lease agreement? I'm sorry but I really have trouble understanding the language in these contracts.

Thanks for any help!

I suggest you take the entire lease agreement to an attorney, YOUR ATTORNEY, for a valid legal opinion.

It isn't wise to ask strangers who haven't read the entire document(s).

I don't want to mislead you.

Ask yourself this question: WHY WOULD SOMEONE SUBLET FROM YOU, RATHER THAN YOUR LANDLORD?

The reason is very obvious.

And, just BECAUSE you can do something, doesn't mean it is wise to do that something.
It's generally NOT a good idea to sublet your apartment.
The risk often exceeds the potential reward.

Last edited:
It is set up so that you won't profit from subletting.
Your options:

1. You live alone and pay rent in full.
2. You move out and subtenant moves in. If subtenant pays less than what you normally owe then you make up the difference. If subtenant pays more than what you normally owe, all money paid is owed to the landlord. You don't get to keep the difference and make a profit on landlord's property.
3. Same as 2, but you reside with the subtenant.

Ask yourself this question: WHY WOULD SOMEONE SUBLET FROM YOU, RATHER THAN YOUR LANDLORD?

College student going back home for the summer so looking to minimize the hit of paying rent especially when I am not currently living there. A short two month sublease over the summer is common at any college town. Leasing anything for a two month period is going to be astronomically high, especially where I am located. Sublease terms are typically cheaper than any leases you can sign with a property manager. There are plenty of good reasons to have your place sublet.

It is set up so that you won't profit from subletting.
Your options:

1. You live alone and pay rent in full.
2. You move out and subtenant moves in. If subtenant pays less than what you normally owe then you make up the difference. If subtenant pays more than what you normally owe, all money paid is owed to the landlord. You don't get to keep the difference and make a profit on landlord's property.
3. Same as 2, but you reside with the subtenant.

Thanks for the clarification. That was my interpretation as well. Sigh should have read my lease better before signing it. Lesson learned I guess. Sublet I had planned would have minimized financial hit to about 500, but probably isn't worth the trouble at this point.

Appreciate the response!

College student going back home for the summer so looking to minimize the hit of paying rent especially when I am not currently living there. A short two month sublease over the summer is common at any college town. Leasing anything for a two month period is going to be astronomically high, especially where I am located. Sublease terms are typically cheaper than any leases you can sign with a property manager. There are plenty of good reasons to have your place sublet.

It maybe common with you, I never did it. All told,I attended college, grad school, and law school for more than 8 years. I observed many students trying to achieve your result. Most, however, got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back