Help!-Shady Law dealings

beaterrr

Jurisdiction
Michigan
2.5 years ago, my wife was hit by a car while riding her bike and is being represented by a certain firm, soon after the incident. About 2 months ago, she was asked to go before a "neutral" 3-panel board to discuss a settlement. Both parties rejected the settlement amount proposed by this 3-panel board. Shortly after, my wife notified her attorney she wanted to take the case to trial. Initially her attorney tried to discourage her from to path by eroding her confidence in her case. When she insisted, the big-boss attorney became irate with her over the phone and stated that he would not let his subordinate (my wife's attorney) take the case to trial and is be willing to drop the case. She submitted to his threat and most recently was request to attend a mediation meeting. At this meeting, her lawyer and a 3rd party, negotiated an settlement that was 25% the amount of the 3-panel board suggested 2 moths ago. during this meeting, my wife was shown a list of medical bills that have been incurred because of this accident. Looking at the dollars amounts, she's convinced these amounts are inflated and total roughly 10x the amount offered to her at this mediation. At this point, we have all but lost confidence in her current legal representation. She rejected this offer and wants to take her case to trial. Since her attorney office threatened to drop her case if she insisted on taking it to trial, she asked the office to put it in writing but they have not thus far. She has a court appearance approaching in about 2 weeks, the attorney said he's going to tell the judge my wife has requested new counsel, which is not not true because they quitting her. We really could use some advice on how to proceed forward with either seeking new counsel, free of obligations to current representation. Also, how difficult would it be to proceed forward down a "Pro Se" path if this litigation went to trial?
I also should note that she suffered a back injury which needed surgery (disk replacement) which took place 9mths ago. Thanks you in advance for response.

You don't want to proceed pro se with this. Forget about it.

Has she contacted any other attorneys yet? If not, do so. If she finds one she is willing to proceed with that attorney will contact the current one.

Thank you mightymoose...She has begun to do just that. Question, without you knowing our full situation of course. Can you speculate as to why her current attorney would rather not go to trial? Seems to me that this is a technique to walk away with more in their pockets than the standard 33.3%. Am I off base with this?

Can you speculate as to why her current attorney would rather not go to trial?

No other human being can ever KNOW the true motives that dictate and direct the actions of any other human being.

Seems to me that this is a technique to walk away with more in their pockets than the standard 33.3%. Am I off base with this?

No one knows why anyone does anything, however, money is one of the things that has been said to motivate one person to murder others.

Back