Help on Calculating Damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdotyii

Heres the Jist!

I purchased a Rental Property (A Duplex) in Feb. '05. I recently went to refinance the property into a lower fixed rate mortgage. And was notifided by the appraiser that the property had a legal, but non-conforming use. Because of that I was denied the refinance and am currently stuck in a bad Adjustable rate note. But, that is only the start.

What the non-conforming use means is that if the building was ever destroyed by more than 60% of its value by fire or whatever. It would have to be rebuilt as a single family home. For this reason the colaterall would change in the eyes of the finance company and that is why they wouldn't finance it. I have talked to several other companies and have gotten the same answer. So, I am stuck with a property that can't be financed.

We have found that the original appraiser marked the property a legal zoning use on his appraisal and that is why I was able to obtain financing in the first place. I am currently trying to bring a suit against him and his E&) insurance, but the problem is proving damages. The house appraised just a hair above the original apprisal, but that doen;t take into account the marketablity of the property. Who would buy a duplex as an investment and pay cash knowing that they could never get cash out of the property because on the lack of financing avialbe.

Options (as I see them)
1. Make the E&O company purchase the property from me and make it as if I never purchased the property. (I like this but I should be compensated for my trouble and loss of a decent investment property)

2. Sue them for the cost to turn the dwelling into a single family unit to conform with the city zoning use. (The property is a good $ generator as a two-family dwelling)

3. Make them give me the 30 yr fixed mortgage and compensate me for the loss of investment.

In any investment you are looking for a small cash flow year-to-year and a large appreciation of value when sold (20 + yrs)

WHAT ARE MY DEMAGES?

One possible measure of damages is the difference between the fair market value between the building as it is and the way the appraiser mistakenly said it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back